1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Choosing DS Card

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by jdog29, Jun 11, 2007.

1. jdog29

jdog29 Member

Hey all,

I'm new to this Nintendo DS stuff. I am going to buy a new DS Lite in a few days for my daughter and I to share.

I read about using this as like an organizer, music, and games.
    Is this possible?
    We basically want it for DS games, music, home brewed apps, also GBA games would be cool too. My question is What would be the best choice for the Card to Purchase? Money is not the issue, I want to get what is the best and most functional.
    Is there one card that does it all? I have narrowed it down to these three. Can you all help me make a informed decision. I'm kind of leaning towards the DX Extreme, though.

1. DS-Xtreme (DS-X) 16Gb (2GB) All-In-One Flash Storage Solution for Nintendo DS and DS Lite

2. R4

3. M3

Thanks, in advance.

JDog29

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Get either 2 or 3 (the DS-X is overpriced and cannot do as much)
    Both the M3DSS and R4DS are identical, buy a cheap 1GB/2GB microSD and your ready to go.
    Infact if you go to www.dealextreme.com they currently have a an R4 + 1GB Kingston MicroSD bundle at a very good price.

Everything you listed are slot-1 devices, this means they cannot play GBA games, if you really want to play GBA games you can also get the EZFlash 3-1 to go in slot-2.

See my M3 DS Simply guide for info on how to use it (second link in sig)

3. jdog29

jdog29 Member

Mr. Hanky Thanks for the quick reply and great advice.

Does the new M3 and R4 still need additionals, like passkey, or patching games, or anything to bypass to get the games and apps to work.
    This is why I was liking the DX Extreme because it looks like an all in one, just plug and drop roms and play.

What about the Slot 2, EZ Flash for the GBA games. Does that also need any additional to get them to work.

Thank You.

JDog29

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

The only thing you need with an M3DSS or R4DS is the MicroSD for storage.

Games do not need patching (though you can trim them if you want)

The EZFlash 3-1 needs a slot-1 device (the M3 or R4) and a homebrew program found here (registration required) to work.

If you really want the memory built into the unit etc. that the DSX offers why not look at the G6 Real? i havn't looked into it much myself, but it is alot cheaper than the DSX and offers most of the same things (no dancing LEDs, but who the hell would pay extra for those).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  5. jdog29

jdog29 Member

Mr Hanky,

Thanks so much for the advice. It looks like I might go with the

Slot 1 > R4 with 2GB MicroSD
    Slot 2 > EZ Flash 3 in 1

I am also interested in running nintendo emulator for some good old RBI Baseball or Punch Out. Which one of the aboves would work for this?

Thanks, you've been most helpful.

~jdog29

6. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

From what I've seen the slot-1 (by this I mean ds only) emulator scene is still not great. For that reason, get the R4/M3 and the EZ Flash 3-1, and get an NES emulator for GBA.
    --EDIT--
    Also, I would recommend making sure to get the kingston or the sandisk microsd, don't go with the "OEM" offer if you're getting the combo from dealextreme.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007