1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help deciding on which PDA is best

Discussion in 'PDA discussion' started by melaniegb, Dec 17, 2007.

1. melaniegb

melaniegb Member

hello everyone
    first i must say that i am a newbie to the PDA world although they have been around for a while now
    I have just recently gotten interested in them and think that one could be helpful to me instead of using the old fashion date book to keep things organized
    I am tired of lugging that big thing around, want to go more mobile
    SOOOO with that being said you can see that i mostly need this for organization purposes more than anything,(Contacts,Schedular,finances,etc)
    i have been looking at the discontinued Dell Axim X51V on ebay because that is what a friend of mine has but i am not sure if i want to get something that has been discontinued by dell?
    I just need some guidence in what is the best bang for the buck without spend hundreds of dollars.
    although i may not use the internet options on the pda at first , i do like the idea of having it and being able to be compatible with the computer. i hope someone can offer some help,
    Is the dell axim my best option?

2. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

PM'd and No, Dell is not your only option. HP has a whole line of PDA's too. I prefer HP over Dell but that's me.

Steve-

3. melaniegb

melaniegb Member

hello
    thanks for the reply
    well i know that dell is not my only option but i just really some good direction in which would be the best choice for me
    I cannot spend 200.00 or more on this pda because i hope to upgrade me cell sometime in 2008 to cell phone /pda also
    i guess i need something basic for now that will be reliable and won't screw up on me
    i looked at the HP's and gosh how do i chose?!:)
    I guess all i need for now is the basics until i upgrade my phone, so with that being said is a 400mghz just as good as a 625mghz?
    and by the way what are you selling yours for ?
    thanks

4. melaniegb

melaniegb Member

also why do you prefer HP over Dell?:)

5. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

Well when I bought my HP at Circuit City and I had the option of choosing from multiple stores vs. ordering from Dell. Not to take away from Dell as their device is pretty much the same thing.

With my HP it just came down to ease of convince in purchasing and reliablity. My wife has a Dell X5# something model and theres no difference in its ability vs. HP.

I will say this, whatever you buy make sure it has WM5 or later on it (WM6 or 6.1). If the battery dies you won't lose all your info.

PDA Cellphones are good (I have the Treo750) but not all have built in WiFi either. If you want to connect to the net you'll need a data plan on top of the phone plan and at that point you may be looking at $80+ a month in a phone bill.

My wife finally uprade to the Tilt which has built in WiFi and I set that up for home use since she did not want the unlimited data plan.

With all of that having been said, if HP had a current iPaq phone out when I bought mine, I probably would have bought that since I had a good track record with their product.

6. melaniegb

melaniegb Member

thanks for all of the info
    i guess it just boils down to what i want to be able to on it , which really is the basic, nothing extensive, i have access at work all day to the internet, so i doubt i would use that feature very much or atleast not an important must have

thanks again for all of your help