1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finding mini DVD-R discs that are compatible with my Gamecube.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by sabres, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sabres

sabres Member

Greetings. I'm having trouble finding mini dvd-r's that are compatible with my Gamecube system. I've tried Sony brand dvd-r's and no good. I also tried RITEK RiDATA mini DVD-R 4x, 30 minute discs and I can't get those to read on my Gamecube either. I'm using Nero btw to burn these discs.

I'm not using a mod chip. I'm using the Action Replay/SD Card method to use emulators, but the NeoGeo CD Redux emu requires you put everything on a mini DVD-R. So i've tried using both GCOM22 and GCOM23 off of my SD Card, as well as two different versions of the .dol file of NeoGeo CD Redux that i've put on my SD Card. For each type of mini DVD-R I tried burning an image that contains one version of the .dol file onto one disc and tried burning another image that contains the other version of the .dol Redux file on a 2nd disc. So I've tried every possible GCOM method, every Redux.dol file and multiple discs of each type of mini dvd brand that I've bought.

When I try GCOM22 or GCOM23 to load the .dol file from my mini DVD-R discs it says "Not an ISO9660 DVD" or something like that (not sure if those are the correct numbers), but anyway I followed the burning instructions exactly and burned the discs the way they're supposed to be burned. I also did each step outside of the burning method that's supposed to be done, such as verifying that the BIOS file i put in the image is good and that the joliet stuff is good and that the image i created should boot and etc. etc. etc.

When I try to just load the two different Redux.dol files off of my SD Card, I can get the "NeoGeo CD Redux" screen to appear but when my system tries to mount the disc the disc just spins for a little while, stops and nothing else happens.

Also, I have no idea how to adjust the laser pot as I've never done anything like that before and am afraid that I'll damage my system. Is this a very easy process to do or should complete amateurs such as myself stay away from this?

So anyway, I know in another thread there was a link to a site that had mini DVD-R compatibility reports for various Gamecube models but the link is broken. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ante0

ante0 Member

Try fuji film dvds, seem to work great on my gc.
    Played 4 games through, not a single DRE.
    Not sure if fuji film has any mini dvds though.

As for pot tweaking, you'd need a multimeter.
    I havent tweaked my gc, since i didnt need to with these dvds.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  3. sabres

sabres Member

I no longer need blank dvd-r's. I'm able to use the latest Neo-CD Redux emu and games solely off of my SD Card.