1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help from the start

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by smacyo137, Aug 2, 2006.

1. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

ok i need help al the way throught this
    i have a dell
    it ad windows ME on it
    it got lots of virises on it so i formated the hard drive
    i re loaded every thing but it sucked
    so i formated it again
    right now i have no opperating system on it
    can some one give me step by step instructions for evry thing from where and which linux to get
    and how to up load it

-thank you sooooooo much

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

3. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

which type of linux should i get
    and
    should i reload win me???

4. creaky

WinMe is foul, i ditched it almost as soon as i got it and went back to Win98SE (for many years!). if you really must keep it, reinstall it then dual boot your machine with a decent linux distro - here's some more linux discussions here that might help give you more linux know-how - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/374720
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/370940

we need the spec of your PC to help you further, but i'll blatantly push dolphin2's suggestion from here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/370940/2227661
    which is a good little test that recommends a Linux distro for you..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  5. Dethh

Dethh Member

hello, what do you want to do with the comp, I use fedora for my servers, it widely used by many people, but nowadays i think ubuntu is the biggest distro used for people to learn and both to use in the corp world.

6. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

sorry guys i didn't use linux
    i stole my bros copy of win xp
    and loaded it up work great but for some reason i cant load up xps win media edition
    i have the reboot disk from my parents computer

7. creaky

aww and we were getting all excited as we had an excuse to chat about linux :)

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

have fun online with a duplicate xp..when you start getting random mouse fail and no keyboard we'all know what's happening.

Never mind creaky...It's just another sad person who likes getting malware, and spreading viruses and the DRM message across our linux built internet.
    One day we will own the world, and windows fanboys will be burnt at the stake.. Mwahahahaha (dammit..a Vincent Price moment..must stop drinking the Night Nurse)
    Is there a way to make AD detect windoze systems and ban them all?..Just thought.. That would clear out all the console rooms a treat.

9. creaky

lol Jan, except we'd be left with the console kids who use Linux to bridge or whatever the hell it is they do :O

you should drop by ad_buddies, it'll help you vent, we can torture tocool4u :p

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  10. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Haha torture me? I don't think so. Ain't I the one that gets herbsman to kick me. HAHA I think I am winning the battle.

Oh and BTW they don't use linux to bridge. They use a linux exploit to mod thier xbox :D

11. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

If there's any one person that gets tortured the most, it's you tocool!

-Mike

12. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Nope your wrong. Especially when I'm on my "happy pills" :)
    And you know when I'm on it....

Ok back on topic. Wait there is no topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  13. creaky

indeed, think this thread's just about done as original poster defected back to Windows. shouldn't be allowed :p

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

theres a good subject for this surplus thread... How the hell do you get a java chat client to work with debian?
    I have tried about 4 now with no joy at all.
    Maybe try again because the chance for some torture of a weak and vulnerable person seems far too good to miss....

Watch that space..then again xchat has never worked for me..my java is working fine, just either the client or maybe some firewall issue..My connection usually doesn't allow any pings. I hear they are essential?

ps playstation3..november17.. 109Kb..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  15. creaky

Jan, xchat works great for me, until i launch into big paragraphs then it stops working - trouble is it looks like i'm logged in, just i get no replies from anyone. i was using 2.4.5 as that's what ships with Mandriva 2006; however Jannejt pointed me towards a site that has newer versions (Seer of Souls i think it was) and now i have a shiny new 2.6.1. Don't know if it's any better yet as i wasn't on there long enough for it to hanG last night.
    As to the java client, i've never got that thing to work, with IRC/xchat on various pc's i have success with ports 6667 or 7000 ie either port only works on certain computers. Be good to see you on there, i now make sure to drop in every afternoon

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006