1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help from the wise and all knowing members

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by roeod4, May 13, 2004.

1. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I am having trouble with Buffy (all seasons) and Angel (all seasons). I am using Dvdshrink+Nero and Prodisc media. Everything works great until it is time to play the Dvd and then the problem only occurs on the last episode. There are 4 episodes per disc on most discs and the 4th episodes clips and freezes up all over the place. I have tried to drop the total file size down a little (about 4444 gb) and the problem continues.
    Most of the discs will play in my computer and only have problems on the Dvd player (Apex) but it does the same thing on 2 other players I have tried (Sony and Toshiba). I have only had 2 discs where the 4th episode would not play at all.
    Please let me know of a cure for this and point me to any guides that may be out there.

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

roeod4,
    I think I would change blank media. Try Ritek's. You might try Meritline.com. The guide below might help especially look at the Compression section

Set Up Guide for DVD Shrink using Nero

1.Make a folder on the Desktop and name it Rip Movies
    2.Put DVD Movie in your DVD-Rom or DVD-Writer
    3.When Windows asks if you want to play movie hit cancel
    4.Open DVD Shrink

Setup Shrink

1.Edit>preferences ( you can look at it if you want to but it is already setup)
    2.File I/O> Burn Setting check enable burning w/ Nero
    Click O.K.
    3.Open Disc- click it ( Shrink will do quick analysis )

Copy Movie Only Method

1.At top click on Re-Author
    2.Main Movie – Drag title to the left side

1.Compression settings
    a.Audio- uncheck the audio you do not want
    b.Subpicture- uncheck any you do not want
    c.Video- Where it says Automatic Ratio click to Custom Ratio( at the top you will see a Green Bar. Right below where you clicked on Custom Ratio is a bar. Move that bar to the left and you will see the Green Bar at the top move left and it will show some gray color. Make sure only 1/8” to ¼” of gray color shows (this keeps you from burning to the outer edge of the disk))
    2.Backup>select target device ( make sure this is your burner
    3.Select Folder for temp files ( make sure this is the folder on the desktop you created Rip Movies)
    4.Click O.K.

Now DVD Shrink does Deep Analysis and then encodes the movie and then automatically burn the DVD using Nero

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi guys
    That a nice little quick quide for the newbies car.mike

I just ordered ritek go4 ridata branded disc on meritline for 69 cents a piece:http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-g04-4x-dvd-r-blank-media-disc-matte-branded.html

I bought a sample pack that included prodisc, and did a test on them with dvdinfo pro, and got lots or write errors so im not impressed.
    Just my two cents
    good luck
    jim

4. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Thanks for the info. I have not been having any trouble from Shrink, Nero, or the Prodisc media up until this point. I have burned about 300 Dvds with this combination and have had zero coasters. I have tried the Ritek and they work real well too, but I like the printing surface on the prodisc a little better in both silver and white. I have backed up movies and TV series before (X-files, Er, Sex and the City, Sopranos, Etc.) with absolutely no problems. However when it comes to the Buffy and Angel series, I run into this problem every time. I have tried Prodisc, Ritek, Verbatim, Maxell, CompUSA Brand (I know it sucks, but I was just getting started) and Fuji Media with no luck. I did try to use the deep analysis on shrink, but the only difference was the time it took to encode it.

I don't really want to try re-authoring because I kinda like having the extra features and especially the menus.
    Is there just a problem backing up the series?
    Is there anything else I could try?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Toshiba Satellite
    P4 HT 2.6 Ghz
    1 Gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    NEC Nd-1300a External
    0 to Burn in 22 Minutes
    One by one the penguins are stealing my sanity! <(C:}[/small]

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

roeod4 ,
    Try a DVD re-authoring program. They are in the guides. The problem is you are trying to put probably 8 gigs on a 4.3 disk. It can be done but that is alot. I no you do not want to re-author but you could put the extras on 1 disc along w/ 1 or 2 episodes the then the res of the episodes on the other. I backed up the Sopranos w/ no problem. Did you try moving the cursor further to the left in Custom Ratio? Then you will not burn to the outer ring.

6. Braxas

Braxas Member

What firmware is your NEC ND-1300A running? There might be newer/more compatible firmware available for the various media types you might use. I think the 1300A at some point had problems with DVD-R writing capabilities (might've been +R, I don't follow NEC's too closely since I don't have one) and a newer firmware could solve the problem. Do a search for Herrie's Firmware Page for the NEC firmware. He has loads of stuff available for NEC drives. :)