1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help getting RMVB on a DVD.

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by TacoROCK, Jan 7, 2008.

1. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

So far I found many programs that put RMVB on DVD but they are trials which don't burn the whole movie. They also convert the RMVB to a very bad quality format befor burning to a dvd.

I also tried convering the RMVB movies manually to Divx or Xvid but this results in a significant quality loss and i'm still turning up with trials that don't convert the whole movie or add a watermark.

I'm looking for a good program that will convert RMVB files to some format I can burn to a dvd while maintaining the quality of the videos. I also want to know why AVI formats can be burnt directly onto a DVD but RMVB have to be converted first?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I have used the scenario in the link, to convert RMVB to DivX format.
    It's not difficult if the steps are followed.
    It may require additional codecs be installed on the sysytem (DivX/XviD and probably Lame MP3) if they are not already present.
    The codecs can be configured from within VirtualDubMod prior to conversion.

I think TMPGEnc can also be made to accept these files, using a plugin, and convert them to MPEG2 (during the trial period) or MPEG1 (VCD) after the expiration of the trial.

DivX and XviD files can be played back on a DivX certified DVD player, thus burning the files as data to DVD disk (as opposed to DVD format) is simple and practical.

http://www.jakeludington.com/dv_hacks/20051210_how_to_convert_rmvb.html

3. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

Well this seems like a longer more annoying way to convert RMVB to DIVX, rather than using a program like Apecsoft RMVB WMV to AVI Converter.

I've realised no matter what I use to convert i always get quality loss from the origonal, so I downloaded the same movie in raw dvd files. The raw dvd files come in a folder called VIDEO_TS, with a bunch of .vob .ifo .bup and now i'm wondering what the correct method would be to get these files onto a dvd the way it's supposed to be. I have nero 8 and it lets me put each file from the folder on the dvd seperately when i open nero express and use the DVD-Video Files option, would this be the correct way of getting them on a dvd so that i can watch them on my dvd player?

4. attar

attar Senior member

With Nero Express, you would select all of the files in the Video_TS folder and load them.
    One point is that the files may be in PAL or NTSC format (North America is NTSC and the most of the world is PAL) and you might end up with a disk that doesn't play on a standalone player - I think Nero warns you before burning.

5. TacoROCK

TacoROCK Member

Thanks, I was just checking sence I don't have DVD-9 DVD's to fit the movie yet.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008