1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help making home dvds from hi8 camcorder...

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mrman, Mar 30, 2004.

1. mrman

mrman Regular member

i have a radeon 9000 all in wonder graphics card which i use to put my hi8 camcorder videos onto my computer. i use the composite cables to connect and i use the ati multimedia software which was included. now the problem is that near the top of the screen evry once in a while it gets staticky.
    i put the videos onto the computer with highest quality setting that it lets me so 2hour videos are around 7gigs big. i have p4 2.8ghzHT 1gig ram 160 gig 7200rpm hd. so could someone please tell me why i am getting this static at the top and even once and a while it goes jumpy.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

That Line of Static is Probably from where the Head on your Camcorder makes contact with the Tape, With VHS Tapes it is usually on the Bottom, It should not show up on your TV when playing the DVD because your TV has an Overscan area of about 10% that should mask the outside edges of the Video when displayed on your TV screen..You could Crop it off after Captureing the File but then that would entail re-encodeing the Captured file which will Degrade the Quality, But if you are Captureing to an AVI format then you have to encode the File anyways to Put it on DVD so you can crop the Line off then..And Make sure that you capture useing the same frame rate that your camera captures to because if you capture useing a different frame rate you can get jumpy playback...Cheers

PS: how are you getting a 7gig file on a Single DVD-R??

3. mrman

mrman Regular member

well i dont think its the heads on the camcorder because the screen on the acual camcorder shows the video perfctly without the lines or any flaws. im puting the files onto my computer in mpeg2 formatt and i then use neo dvd to put them onto dvds. there are 3 qualitys of dvd and i use the middle one which makes the file smaller. it rencodes it. if you have any better suggestions as of how i can do the entire process i would be happy to hear them:)