1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Making the Xbox able to Play AVi's and Games.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by xHaydenx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I have a mod chip in my Xbox. I used to have the Evolution X dashboard, but that went when I got a new hardrive for the Xbox. Now I just have the standard dash that coems with it.

I want my Xbox to be able to play AVI files of a cd. Is this possible and easy to do? I want it to be able to play games easily, too.

I've never modded a console before and I don't know how I'd do it. I've heard of Xbox Media Center, but does that play AVI's? and how do I put it on?

Please assist.

thanks.

2. error55o

error55o Regular member

Hi, I can tell you that XBMC (XBox Media Center) can play 97% of AVI types, If your mod chip is installed look around for AID 3.5 and use to install dashboard/s of your choice ^_^

Hope that helps

3. EvilModda

EvilModda Regular member

"can play 97% of AVI types"

I don't know what you mean by that because there is only ONE KIND OF AVI, and thats called AVI so your wrong about the 97% part too....

AVI is a video format. -_-

Get you acronyms right. And by the way Xbox Media Center might be able to play it, I never tried but what you can always do if that doesn't work is get a AVI -to- WMA or something like that. Just a suggestion

4. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, so if I get this Aid program I can just install Evox or whatever and it'll be fine?

Do I just burn Aid to a cd and put it in the xbox and it'll go from there?

thanks for the help, and keep it coming.

5. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Ummm...where do I find this AId program?

6. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Nevermind. I found the AID program, but it's so big. Is there something I can get that is small, will install a dash onto my xbox, and let me play AVI's easily.
    By the way, I don't want to have to FTP or anything into the console. Will the AID wipe my HD before installing a dash?

thanks.

7. error55o

error55o Regular member

nope, it will install the wanted dash as default, FTP comes as standard due to easy updating methods used by it, get AID, burn to disk n keep safe for future use, also it WONT format unless you want it to.

8. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Awesome. I'm still downloading it now. So, I can burn it to a DVD, and then all I have to do is pop it into the xbox and follow the prompts?
    What do you mean FTP comes as standard? Will I have to hook my PC up to the Xbox at all to get what I want?

I was hoping that once Evox is installed, I could just put in a DVD that I have that has the episodes of a TV divided into a heap of different AVI files.

9. error55o

error55o Regular member

you cant in evox, you can under evox but XBMC can play all files in the same directory/DVD one after the other.

Xbox FTP is standard and a way of recueing a borked install of XBMX and other such things

10. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, so what do I need to install off of AID 3.0 then to play the AVI's? I don't want to have to copy the AVI's onto the HD or anything. I just want to be able to put a DVD full of them in and play.

XBMC is that another kind of dash? or a program I can install off AID?

11. error55o

error55o Regular member

yes, to both last questions questions, as for AID, it wont do what you dont want it to

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  12. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

It wont let me install the dash's so I can play AVI's? Sorry, I'm getting confused.

The program just finished downloading then.

13. error55o

error55o Regular member

ok AID has the option of installing XBMC as your default dashboard
    or evox
    or unleashx

its quite simple mate, try for your self now you got AID

14. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

You're right: it is quite simple. I tried, and installed Xbox Media Center without any trouble. The AVIs look better than on the Pc. It works perfectly, exactly how I wanted it to, but there is one little problem:

When I turn on the Xbox it boots up the original MS dash, but I want it to boot the Xbox Media Center one instead. How do I make it do this?

I don't want to have to put in the AID dvd, tell it to boot the dash on E: (i think it was E) and then have to put in the DVD with the AVIs.

15. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

You didn't set it as your default dash then.

Use AID and reinstall it as the default dash.

16. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

When I installed Xbox Media Center I installed the hacked version. How do I install it so it is my default one? and how do I delete the old version of Windows Media Center? or will it just overwrite it?

17. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

By the way, I didn't install any dashs like Evox or Avalaunch, etc. Just XBMC.

18. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Anyone?

19. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I tried finding you a decent answer in the AID 3.0 guide, but as far as I can tell it doesn't install XBMC as a default dash (I used Slayer's myself, and later on the UXE softmod). So, I apologize for my earlier post.

Seems like you might have to install a dashboard such as EvoX or Avalaunch with AID 3.0.

Based on what I've read, you can do one of two things. Either install a hacked dash as either single boot or dual boot. Regardless of what you choose, install a hacked dashboard. Afterwards, FTP and figure where the evoxdash.xbe is located (should be located on C:\evoxdash.xbe or E:\evoxdash.xbe). Next, use the XBE shortcut maker from FuZ3's XBMC guide. Have it point to wherever AID installed XBMC to (probably E:\apps\XBMC). Should be something like E:\apps\XBMC\default.xbe. Save the file as evoxdash.xbe.

http://files.filefront.com/XBE+Shortcut+Makerrar/;5338620;;/fileinfo.html

Next, rename the evoxdash.xbe to evoxdash_backup.xbe so it can be restored if the shortcut doesn't work for some reason. Next transfer the new evoxdash.xbe you made with the shortcut maker, and you should be set.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  20. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, thanks for the advice, Venom. I'll give it a go soon.

Damn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to FTP or anything. I'm so useless with FTP. Can I use the system link cord that comes with the Xbox 360 to connect the Xbox and PC?