1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Making the Xbox able to Play AVi's and Games.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by xHaydenx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. error55o

error55o Regular member

check out his dash version
    if it's not a live version update it then redo the softmod

worked for me once

2. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I don't think the version of his MS dash would matter. In out attempts to install EVOx or avalaunch as his default, we even tried deleting the MS dash.

And it's not softmod. His is a proper chip.

3. error55o

error55o Regular member

then try one of the following

take out the chip and re-install it

or

update the chips BIOS

optionally do both above

4. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

I have a 1.0 Xbox, and before the chip stopped working I had EvoX as my default dash.

From the looks of it, everything was stock on C:\ except for the addition of evox.ini and evoxdash.xbe

Also, about that reboot situation. Since you aren't booting from a hacked dash, the Xbox's normal habit of rebooting when the tray opens is still intact, which is why it still does.

What are you selecting when you install the dashboards anyway?

5. error55o

error55o Regular member

so..... It shoud still softmod?

6. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

He could, but why softmod a chipped Xbox?

Also, the way my Xbox was set-up, it would boot to the MS Dash when the chip was disabled, and boot to EvoX when it was enabled.

7. error55o

error55o Regular member

as do many to keep access to ms-live
    this is also do-able with softmod these days
    but each to their own i guess ^_^

8. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

We tried installing just about every dash, and we tried both the hacked and standard ones.

9. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Let's try it this way...

Get Slayer's Autoinstaller 2.6 and have it install all the necessary apps and such on your friend's Xbox. For whatever reason, AID isn't doing the trick for you, and Slayer's has never failed me.

10. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay. As it's my friend's Xbox, I'll tell him to download it. I'll report back with the result.

Will the slayers set it up so he can use XBMC?

11. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Yes, by default Slayer's installs EvoX as a dashboard and XBMC is then installed as an application.

If he wants it to boot to XBMC and the Xbox is booting to EvoX instead of the MS dash when the chip is enabled, overwrite the evoxdash.xbe with an XBE shortcut that points to XBMC.

12. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, he probably won't mind if he has to boot Evox and then launch XBMC as an application. As long as it doesn't revert back to the MS dash when he opens the DVD.

With mine, I was wondering what would be the easiest way to FTP into my Xbox? I've got a modem router with a spare slot that I could use, or I could use the slot in the back of the PC. Is there much meddling around with FTPing? I just want to use it to transfer AVI's over to the hardrive instead of on DVD discs: my xbox seems to scratch them for some reason.

13. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

FTP is pretty simple once you get used to it. Just use the router, as it's much simpler. Basically just plug and play. By default, XBMC should be set to DHCP, so it should automatically give you an IP address when you connect it to the router. If you can't find the IP address, you can get it off the network settings page on XBMC.

If you like, you can just stream the AVI files from your PC rather than just transfer them. That's how I watch all of mine, rather than transferring them. Same goes with music.

14. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Streaming? Sounds much easier.

Okay. I've got a bunch of different cables and what not; I guess one of em will be a crossover cable. So I just plug one end into the router and the other into the XBox, and then go through with FLASh Xp?

Oh, I didn't set XBMC to DHCP when I set it up. How do I do this now?

15. error55o

error55o Regular member

My field i think, You need to use a normal sright thru cable not a cross over with a router or a hub, cross over is for pc-to-xbox type ocnnections ^_^

to set up DHCP in XBMC go to the settings and select "Network" it should be the top most item listing there ^_^ just highlight /\ thing and press A till it says DHCP

I use XBMC to copy from the pc for every thing as FTP can be a little naighty with the connections sometimes ^_^

16. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, the only cables I have at the moment is the one that comes with the Xbox 360 for system link play; the one that my friends and I used to use for system link with the original Xbox; a blue one that looks like it might not even work because it's damaged; and, a yellow one that came with my modem. The yellow one was for connecting the PC to the router for internet, but I use a USB connection instead.

Are any of these the right cables?

17. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I was looking at the cables, and I think some of them are straight through cables; so, they should work with if I connect one end to the Xbox and the other into the router, right?

What do i do next?

18. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

Okay, I tried FTP with the Xbox 360 cable and then with the one I used to use for SYstem Link with the original Xbox. I'm trying to connect through my router so I can transfer AVI's and what not onto the XBox.

Anyway, when in XBMC, I go to My files down the bottom, and there is a section on the left that says XBMSF Network Servers (Aut Discovery). WHen i tried accessing that witht eh 360 cable it said Network not connected, but when i tried with the old system link cable it said no servers found.

What am i doing wrong? Am I even on the right track to getting this work?

thanks.

19. xHaydenx

xHaydenx Regular member

I was meddling around and I cahnged the IP address of the XBox. I can't remember what I changed it from. I hope this doesn't matter.

I wont fiddle anymore; I'll wait for one of you guys to help me out.

20. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The original Xbox system link cable is a normal crossover cable. I haven't a clue about the 360 one, but I would think that it's still a crossover cable.

[​IMG]

Basically, this is how my set-up is. Connect your PC and your Xbox directly to the router using straight through ethernet cables using DHCP on both if possible. If everything's working properly, XBMC will give you an IP address in the network settings tab. That's what you'll need to FTP.

Here's an example of how I FTP.
    1. Turn on the Xbox and let it finish booting to XBMC.
    2. Launch Cute FTP Pro.
    3. Connect to my Xbox using 192.168.1.107 and port 21 as the connection settings, using xbox for both the user and pass.
    4. Transfer/remove/replace files as I desire.
    5. Shut down Cute FTP, because I'm finished.

Also, about that USB cable. I think I figured out why it hasn't been working for you... You're using a broadband modem with a USB port and a single ethernet port, correct? If so, you don't have a router, just a normal broadband modem. Generally, the router is a seperate device that you use in conjunction with a modem to connect a LAN to WAN (aka the Internet). Since it doesn't seem as though you have a router, you'll just need to use a crossover cable such as that Xbox system link cable you have.

Here's a guide that can help you get it up and running with a crossover cable.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/213943