1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Modding Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by kjaved373, Dec 7, 2008.

1. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

I think I have a broken trace and need help getting it fixed. I have a Xbox Official Xecuter 2.6 CE ModChip.

If anyone can help me, please answer. go to for the pictures. The pictures are names "pics.rar".

Thanks!!!

2. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

maybe it is not a broken trace, but people tell me that I just have to desolder the LPC holes.

Still got a question, after I solder the pin header to the mother board and attach the modchip to the pin header, is there anything else that needs to be done inside the XBOX.

3. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

You need to solder the d0 and the lan and harddrive activity light , If you havent done so already .

4. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

5. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

No problem .

6. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

I needed to desolder leftover solder in the lpc area. Although i'm not done yet, I checked to see if the Xbox worked. I plugged it in to the TV, and turned it on. It turns on twice for two seconds, then it turns off. The third time, it stays on, no video on screen, flashing red and green lights, and ejects correctly.
    What is the problem???

I read that it could be a broken trace, but I have no idea where to look for the trace.

Please help!!!!

Thanks.

7. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

its fraggin . frag means flashing red and green . bios issue . if you feel its a trace get a magnifying glass and look over every bit of the lpc on the top and bottom of the motherboard . especailly check the debug section on the bottom of the lpc sometimes that can get messed up . get your soldering iron hot and get your desoldering braid handy and remove all the solder that you applied . then try to boot it up normally ie: retail mode . just as a check . if it works normally then try and reinstall your chip carefully again and go from there .

8. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

i know that problem, it tries to boot from your chip that is not working correctly. if you disconnect the d0 wire, it will boot the ms bios. recheck all the wiring of your modchip, that fragging means that there is no continuity between the upper and lower d0 point (==> hence bypassing the ms bios and trying to boot the bios on the modchip). either take out the modchip and reconnect the upper and lower d0 point again (==> boot from ms bios), or check all the wiring of your modchip so it will boot from there.

9. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

I found the broken trace. It is on the d0 point. By the way I haven't installed the modchip or the d0 wire. I'm going to fix it soon. Should I use a circuit writer or 30 awg wire to connect the trace.

Anyone know where to get a solderless adapter in U.S. for a cheap price? Also, I don't have a connector for d0 wire to modchip. I was planning on using a 30 awg wire, but won't be able to connect to modchip. What should I do?

10. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

if the path of your upper d0 is lifted, retracing with a circuit writer will not do you any good (but off course you can always try that first, it is the easiest solution!). you have to solder a wire from the lower d0 point to the upper d0 point. but you might have to scrape some of the protective green layer of the trace, so that the copper gets exposed. then you can solder the wire (that you soldered to the lower d0 point) to the copper that got exposed. problem is that solder will not hold, you have to use some flux. for me solder did not stick to the exposed copper, i still have to buy some flux to get it to stick. soldering the lower d0 point is easy. you can test if it worked, by soldering the lower d0 point. then hold the other end of the wire on the exposed copper trace. and power on the xbox (that is the way i tested it, and it works. my xbox boots up normally)

11. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

Thanks. I'm getting my brother to fix the trace, but I still won't be able to install the xbox without being able to connect the d0 wire (30 awg in this case) to the modchip because there is no connector on the wire to attach to modchip. Any way to get around this???

Thanks

12. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

You can ground the d0 to a hole that a screw goes into on the motherboard and it should be fine . I have an xbox with a duoX2 gs thats got the d0 on the bottom of the board grounded , and it works just fine . If i am wrong somebody please make me aware of it .

13. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

can the pin on the solderless adapter replace the d0 wire if it were used?

14. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

yep i believe so . but you wont be able to ground it . you can just connect it to the top d0 point .

15. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

Just to be clear, there is no point of using the d0 wire when using the solderless adapter?
    Do you know any places in the US that sell it?

16. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

Almost right . You need the d0 no matter what with a chip . Go straight here . http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/search.html . that shows both xapt3rs for v1.0 - v1.5 and the v1.6 model . Im not sure about grounding the d0 and not using the chips d0 as for booting back to retail . I dont know because my duox2 gs xbox i messed up the tsop so i just did it for that . Trial and error . unless someone else can help ?

17. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

Hey, S10MAN, I saw you post something about softmodding. Does softmodding have all the same features as installing a chip? Might consider doing it. Especially if it can play backups and emulators.

Thanks.

18. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

Softmodding allows you to do the same . EXCEPT , unlock your harddrive . If you have thought about doing a tsop flash that is just the same as a modchip except you can no longer access xbox live safely . Unless you have a v1.0 or v1.1 motherboard . But thats a different story . but to answer your question , yes you can play backups, yes you can upgrade your harddrive , and yes if you get the right package you can dual boot your xbox so you can access xbox live safely . I dont know if your going to access xbox live or not so .... I hope that helps .

19. kjaved373

kjaved373 Member

Sorry, but I didn't read this message correctly before. You said that "You can ground the d0 to a hole that a screw goes into on the motherboard and it should be fine." How would you "ground" the wire into the hole? How would grounding the wire connect it to the modchip? Just to make sure, one end of the wire gets soldered to d0 point, and the end grounded to the hole?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  20. S10MAN

S10MAN Member

yep you got it . i generally solder the other end of the wire to the hole by the lpc due its location . you dont connect a d0 to the chip . if you have a solderless adapter then i dont know how that would work . other than use electrical tape and tape it up so it wont cause a short . if your using the pinheader method just tape up the end of the gray wire (d0) so it wont cause a short . http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N . there is an image at the top and that should explain everything .