1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP NETWORKING!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pman1130, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I have been trying and trying to get the computer in my room to run off of our main computer using ICS.I have SBC YAHOO DSL. I believe I have everything hooked up right but it seems that some of my settings are messed up. I have gotten to the point where, on my computer in my room I am able to see the HOST computer under network connections but when I try to browse the internet it attempts to DETECT PROXY SETTINGS and then it gives me a PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED message. I am also having a problem when I attempt to enable my second local area connection. When I do this I am no longer able to browse the internet on my host computer. Somebody please help me !!!!!!!!!I am rady to through my computer out thE WINDOW.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why not use a router??

3. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I was thinking about getting a router but before I did I wanted to try using Internet Connection Sharing because supposedly it works but I cant get it hooked up right. Does anyone else know something that could help me? PLEASE REPLY!!!!!

4. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Did you run ICS on both computers?

Are you configured with NIC cards?

How exactly do you have them connected?

5. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I did run ICS on both computers, and I do have my NIC's plugged in and they are working properly, but im not sure if their settings are correct. I am connecting my computers together using crossover cable.
    Do you know why when I enable my second network connection on my host computer, I am no longer to access the internet on my host computer?

6. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Check your IRQ's. They maybe be trying to use the same ones.

Try releasing the IP address on both computers and see if that helps.

We can manually set the "slave" computers addresses later once you have them "talking" with eadh other.

7. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

Thanks for replying. How do I check my IRQ's, and how do I release my IP address?

8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

To check your IRQ's and other resources use Device Manager. THe IRQ's of both cards can be the same on the host computer but all the other resources should be different. Check Network Adapters, Properties. Click on the resources tab. While your in Device Manager see if the devices are reported as working properly.

To release your IP addresses, I need to know which operating system your using (ie Win 98, 2000, XP, etc.)

9. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I checked my IRQ's and all of them were fine except for my WAN MINIPORT (IPX), it has a yellow exlamation point by it.

For IP release reference I am using Windows XP on both my computers.

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

The WAN Miniport Driver allows two NT or Windows 95 machines to connect over ISDN giving TCP/IP, NetBEUI and IPX connectivity between the two machines

So this could be the root of the whole problem.

Most likey it is a corrupt or missing driver (part of XP).

Right click on it and go to properties, reinstall the driver. You'll need your XP CD.

Reboot afterwards and try the network. Check Device Manager to see if the yellow exlamation has gone away.

Let me know the results.

11. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I did go in and reinstall the Driver and it said that it was finished installing, but after I restarted and went back into device manager WAN MINIPORT is no longer listed under network adapters.

You should also know that I now can browse the internet on my host computer while I have my second network connection enabled.

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Right. That WAN MINIPORT will ONLY show up if there is a problem. Installing the dirver fixed it so, it will not show.

Is the problem all solved now?

13. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

No, I still cant access the internet from my Client computer, the only thing that has changed is what I told you before, I am now able to enable my second network connection and browse the internet from my host computer.

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Are you able to share files?

15. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

Yes, I am able to share files between my machines.

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

OK. We're almost there!

Run the Internet Connection Wizard on the RENOTE computer and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then we'll go with the manual setup.

17. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

I ran the network setup wizard on my computer and then I checked and I still can't access the internet from my client computer.

18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

On each computer, one at a time.

Open your Network Connections. Double click on the icons, one at a time. On the support tab, Write down the connection status information and post the information.

19. Pman1130

Pman1130 Member

On my HOST computer these were the results

For my first network connection, the one that connects to the internet this is what I got.

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP
    IP Address: 70.224.247.32
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 70.224.247.33

For my second network connection this is what I got.

Address type: Automatic Private Address
    IP Address: 169.254.87.16
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:

These are the results I got off of my CLIENT computer.

Address type: Automatic Private Address
    IP Address: 169.254.182.185
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:

20. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

The second connection and the Remote computers' IPs are wrong. That is the problem now.

Let's take the follow steps and try and fix it automatically, if that doesn't work, we'll do it manually.

Step 1> Temporarily shut down (better yet remove) all Anti-Virus and Firewall programs.

Restart the computers.

On the HOST computer.

Step 2> Set the Internet Connection Sharing.

Click Start> Select My Netwrok Places and right click, sekect Properties.

NOTE: If there is a Network Bridge> DELETE it and then continue.

Right click the connection that you use to connect to the Internet.

On the menu, select Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Internet Connection Sharing, click the "Allow other network users to connect through this computers' Internet connection" check box.

With dial-up, click to select the "Establish a dial-up connection when ever a computer on my netwrok attempts to access the Internet" chek box if you want to allow your computer to automatically connect to the Internet.

Click OK, when the message occurs please click YES.

Restart the computer.

It should then have an IP of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 If this is what your results are then the REMOTE should connect to the Internet.

If this doesn't work then we'll do it manually (as I said before).

Let me know the results.