1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help ! Pioneer DRV-108

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by terranova, Sep 22, 2004.

1. terranova

terranova Member

Hi all, I hope someone here can help me. I just got the Pioneer DRV-108, since it seems to have very good reviews. What I just discovered though is that it arrived OEM, i.e. unit only - no box, software, drivers, cables, mounting screws, etc.

What I [bold]really[/bold] need are the drivers since I am using Win98 and this thing is pretty much a doorstop without them. Searching Pioneer's site didn't help, nor a net search. At best I could download the latest firmware update -- but that won't fix it, will it?

Can anyone help me here?

TIA!

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

InWindows 98' -- when you install a Plug N Play peripheral such as this -- you have the option of letting windows go to the Microsoft Library to get the drivers for it.

As for the Firmware , it is always preferable to install the latest issue directly from the Manufacturer's site. The latest for yours offers "" DVR108_FW114EU.exe - Win Version 1.14 reduces writing times for 12X/16X DVD-R and +R media, improves writability on CD media, and improves playability of DVD and CD media ""

3. terranova

terranova Member

Hmmm.... Plug and Pray is more like it... LOL.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I looked inside my system, and would like to bring up 2 points.

First, just to do things the easy way, I removed my DVD-Rom and replaced it with the Pioneer DVD recorder.
    Got everything hooked up, and voila -- it is working very well....as a DVD-Rom that is. The PC doesn't know there is any new hardware there, and I can't record with it at all. I suppose I can delete it from the device manager, and hope it will pick it up on reboot, but I'm back to the same problem -- without new drivers, it won't really function as anything more than a DVD-Rom. Any thoughts??

Second, Ideally I would like to have both my DVD-Rom and the Pioneer installed. If it's too hard then I can
    make do with just the Pioneer installed. But there is only one place for an audio cable (in my case, the sound card is integrated into the motherboard). How do people have both a CD-Rom or DVD-Rom and a recorder?

Thanks for any help!!

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

What is the software you using to do your DVD burning ?

5. terranova

terranova Member

Thanks for the help....

Well I might be making progress....maybe. I tried Record Now which would not function. Now I have just tried Nero
    and burned a music CD from various MP3s, but while it'll
    play fine on the Pioneer it will not play in any of my CD players....

Any ideas?

Cheers!

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Cd Players are very fuzzy about media you use -- ! --

In order to help someone in here -- it is a prerequisite that you specify what software you use -- what media you have -- what error you are getting - how fast you are burning - ect...! No wonder you could not burn to that new drive , if you didnt have any software installed.

Now that you have Nero installed and it burns -- how about checking if you are installed properly-- Use Nero info tool and check that you have ASPI installed and working -- is DMA activated -- so on. --
    You can check that disk for errors -- too many and your player will refuse to play it.

Good Luck in your burning.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2004
  7. terranova

terranova Member

Hi again,

Well tried to back up a DVD and it worked beautifully! I am quite amazed...and yet for an external CDRW I have, without putting in a ton of programs/drivers it is just deadweight. Thanks for your help.

I'd still like to ask 2 questions though -- one is the issue I brought up earlier - how do you have 2 drives hooked up when there is just one place on the card or motherboard to hook up the audio cable?

A second question I have is after installing a new DVD player/recorder -- you have 5 times to put in any disc of any region, and then the drive will freeze the region code. Can this be stopped? And, what if you just keep putting in code-free DVDs? Will this allow any DVD to be viewed in the future?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

That's the price you pay when you use ONBOARD Audio -- very few motherboard have a second AUX entrance. -- but-- Sound Cards all have them.

There is some hack firmware that will do just that -- but you better just stick to the Manufacturer firmware if you want to keep the warranty in effect. -- and if you are using DVD Shrink to make backups - dont worry - it does make a Region FREE copy of your original.

Happy Burning !

Edited for typo.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper ![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004