1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 1ceCold, Jul 6, 2007.

1. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Alright, I have an Maxtor One Touch III 300 Gig external hard drive. When I transfer files to the drive it sometimes freezes. I have ran Flobo Bad Sector program to check for any bad sectors and it did not detect any. I have ran chkdsk and it still did not help. It will freeze until i turn off the hard drive. Then windows will act normal once again. Running a disk defrag freezes also. Downloading files directly to the drive will freeze the entire computer till the drive is turned off. I have no clue on how to fix this and Ive been trying for quite some time now so any help will be greatly appreciated. Please help! Thank you, IceCold

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

First, try a different USB port, then a different USB cable, then try getting a different box for the hard drive, if none of that works, then replace the unit.

3. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Tried the port, Going to buy another cable here soon. Thanks for the info though.

4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

try a new PSU

lol it appears from browsing that it runs off the usb power and it's possible that the power is not enough to sustain it, you could try a powered usb hub to see if that helped

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.5" drives can't run off USB power regardless.
    since 2.5" drives don't go up to 300GB, that drive will not be powered by USB.

6. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Wrong, Like I said, Its a Maxtor One Touch III 300 Gig External. Which as a power cord along with 2 firewire ports and the usb port. It was working fine before on the firewire but i switched to usb sense my brothers computer doesnt have firewire. And it worked fine for a few weeks and its been acting up ever sense.

7. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

You could well be right sam but the advert never said anything about power supply :)

ha looked again your are right buddy :)

however the symptoms are very power related perhaps trying a usb pci card may help

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

no matter how badly a hard disk is messed up, it shouldn't cause your PC to freeze. I reckon it's either the USB bus or the box is bad.
    For reference, I had a cheap Sumvision enclosure that stopped working and by that I mean when you plugged it in your CPU did a kernel halt. You could pause the bootup sequence with it. As soon as you unplugged it, the PC carried on its merry way. The same may have happened here.

9. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Yeah, Thats what im thinking of doing is just buying the pci usb card along with a new usb cable. Sense i think his ports are only 1.1 and not 2.0. Its a Dell Dimension 4400 Desktop.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That must be very old, USB2 ports appeared 2002ish I think. keep us posted with the results!

11. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Well, Im thinking of buying Seagate 500GB Ultra DMA/100 16MB Hard Drive Along with Three A-Power 3.5" USB 2.0/FireWire Ext. Aluminum Case (Black) For that 500 gig and the 300 gig. Along with my 160 gig. The 160 gig has a problem with the power pins but I use it for my ps2. So i`ll buy 3 cases. Throw out the maxtor case and one I have thats messed up also. Put the 160 in one and the 300 in one. Raid them. And keep the 500 gig for my ps2. Only cost me about 160 or so. Whoops the price on the 500 gig went up. Was only 90 bucks other day with free shipping.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

RAID them? How?
    You realise you can't do RAID over USB right?

13. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Look at the links. Their firewire and usb. And yes you can do it over usb. Ive seen it before.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think you've been misled.
    Lacie Big disks use RAID, but the drives aren't connected together by USB. They're connected to the controller by internal drive cables, and the entire RAID array is connected to the PC via USB. You can't have two USB enclosures RAIDed together, there's no means of doing it. The actual drive controller has to have it built in (for example your motherboard's S-ATA chipset, or a RAID card).

15. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Ive seen before where you can for both i cant find the site right now. But I was thinking. Should I just put the drive in the computer to see if it functions correctly?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's a good idea. I shouldn't expect any problems. it may come up with a different drive letter or without one though, so pop into disk management to change that if it happens.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  17. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Yes, I know that, I am pretty experienced with computers.

18. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Well, Took it out of the case what a pain that was. Popped in the computer and turned it on and it works better than it ever did. Going to buy a new case tomorrow. Thanks!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sweet, no problem.