1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help,problem with monitor

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by markb1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. markb1

markb1 Member

when pc is switched off for any amount of time,which is usually over night,the monitor remains black for about 3 to 4 minutes before it comes on when i turn on pc.
    i know this is probably a bad sign but does anyone know is there anything i can do or should i just get a new monitor,im assuming its the monitor thats the problem.

its a Phillips monitor and is only about 2 years old so its a bit of a bummer.

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

you can get a new monitor. also if you have anything with magnets around your monitor that could be the reason why your monitor doesn't work.

3. markb1

markb1 Member

nothing with magnets around pc,i know i can buy a new monitor but id like to know can it be fixed before i hand out 100 to 200 euro.

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Check your OS settings first. You may have your hard drive going into sleep or hibernate mode which can take longer for it to come back up. The system has to "wake up" and refresh it's settings and time adds depending on the speed of your system.

5. markb1

markb1 Member

sorry for being a complete loser when it comes to pc`s,but where do i find the os settings?
    thank you in advance.

6. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

Control panel.^^

7. markb1

markb1 Member

ok ive found power options,hibernate is enabled,should i disable it?

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

disconnect your monitor from the PC. then turn it on. if it doesn't come up almost immediately with a line saying something like "no signal detected," it's not an issue with the OS, it's a problem with the monitor.

try that; it will help sort things.

as for hibernate, you don't need to disable that. it would have no effect. doesn't sound like a standby issue, either, as once the machine itself is on you should see something on the screen pretty quickly.