1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP SETTING UP RAID

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by floss313, Nov 4, 2009.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Yeah, just make sure that you actualy have the room for it...usualy only one or two, but sometimes none of the PCI slots can be used with PCI-X cards, as there are often mainboard components blocking the extra pins behind the PCI pins.

Come to think of it, there are tons of these old cards available used...many of them are 6 channel cards from old servers, so you could have all 5 of your drives in a single array if you wanted to.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Had some memory trouble with 7 and the PC wouldn't start.

After I got that sorted, the RAID Manager said Initializing which I don't even know what it is, but it took about 10 hours to do so while I was on the PC also.

System is currently underclocked to 2 Ghz since I haven't gone into the BIOS yet.

How fast would it have been with a RAID Controller?

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Not much faster...the speed gains come once it is initialized. 10 hours is probably faster than some hardware controllers would have done the job...my 3ware took about 2 days to initialize & verify my 3x 1.5TB RAID5 array...and it took another 2 days to add a fourth drive through migration.

4. floss313

floss313 Regular member

That's great to know.

What is initialize?

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

It is kind of like a full format, except at a lower level. If you know what a "low level format" is, this is basicly the same thing for a RAID array. It makes sure that everything is functional before you start trusting the array(s) with data. My 3ware also automaticaly verified once it was initialized; this is kind of like scandisk, but at a lower level than any file system goes to.

6. floss313

floss313 Regular member

Cheers bud.