1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help unlocking/jailbreaking 1st Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by gcrew2, Oct 27, 2010.

1. gcrew2

gcrew2 Member

My wife bought a 1st gen iPhone from a friend. Before they sold it to her, they restored it back to its original state and there is no sim card in the phone. My wife gave me the phone since she already has an iPhone. I have AT&T but I don't want to use the iPhone because of the $20 extra a month I'd have to shell out for the data plan, but I do want to use it as an iPod touch for games/movies/music/etc.

How do I do this? I've read about unlocking/jailbreaking but have no clue on how to do this. I have no idea what firmware the phone has. The screen just says "slide for emergency".

Help me out, please..I'm new to all this.

Thanks

2. ansh911

ansh911 Member

Do you have a dummy sim Sir? if you are not looking to use the phone for caling or texting you can yous any dummy sim and that should work. coz i am in exact same situation and i use my palm jst for gaming. Plz look around for a useless sim.. . plz post if any issues...

3. Link2205

Link2205 Regular member

Hi! ^o^

Have you tried using your wife's sim to activate the device first? If that doesn't work then do this...

Download firmware 3.1.2 from here. Make sure the file extension is .ipsw and not .rar. You then need to put the device into DFU mode. GUIDE HERE. When the device is in DFU mode and recognised by itunes, hold down the shift key and click restore, this will allow you to browse for the 3.1.2 firmware. let the restore process complete and you will then be back at the slide for emergency screen. Download blackra1n from here and run. this will then jailbreak your device and activate it aswell, allowing you to use it as normal! ^o^

Hope that helps!! :D