1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help w/ Aladdin Advance EX

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by A_James, May 4, 2005.

1. A_James

A_James Member

I just recently bought and Aladdin Advance EX mod-chip and a Xenium Solderless Adapter. I cracked open my XBOX (v1.0 or v1.1 -- I'm absolutely sure), and screwed down the adapter, then attached the chip (I don't know if this chip comes w/ pre-loaded bios or not); then, put the adapter lead on the DO point (did not solder -- does it need to be -- can I use electrical tape?). The XBOX just hangs at the "start-up" screen -- never even reaching the Microsoft dash.

I read somewhere on this forum that I need to melt the solder and open the points where the adapter seats (but, why the hell would that matter? Solder has conductivity and will carry current-flow. Maybe I'm attaching the adapter incorrectly? Long connectors in mod-chip, right? NOTE: adapter has 11 long connectors and 10 short). Also, the site for this chip says that it has a port to flash bios. How do I do that? That might be the problem (like I said previously, I don't know if it is pre-loaded w/ bios or not). What kind of cable do I use? What program? Do I even use a cable to link it to my computer?

Anyway, is there something I'm missing? I have a burnt CD-R (also DVD-RW) of EvolutionX dashboard -- is that when to load it on, because nothing responded? I don't know, I would try to get a "solder chip" but I have severe tremors, and I have melted enough motherboards in my electronics courses to prove it to myself :p .

Any help would be overwhelmingly appreciated! And, if anyone needs any info that I missed in this post to help me, I'll post it ASAP.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  2. A_James

A_James Member

Okay, I think I might have an idea of what might be happening. Form what I gather I need a working mod chip to read the CD-R/DVD-RW of EvolutionX; and, supposedly, a basic command menu will prompt me when to load the dash if the chip is working (so I don't think it's a dash problem).

Having emulators that requires bios made me think about what a bios is. In dumbass speak (because that is my native tongue): a bios is the point when you turn you system on and you can select stuff like: savegames/memory cards, music, play disc, etc. That means that the bios is right after the "start-up" screen (the one that screams "X-BOX" at you). The start-up screen hangs for me and never makes it to the part were I can select music or savesgames, and such. That must mean I don't have a bios loaded on my mod-chip!

So I guess (if that's the case) my next question is: how do you upload a bios on your mod-chip? I went to "xbox-scene" and they only seem to have tutorials on how to flash the x-box bios itself (not how to upload it to an Aladdin Advance -- or maybe I just don't know what I'm reading). So, I went to "aladdin-chip" and they have a chart showing that my chip (Aladdin Advance EX) has a port to flash (upload) a bios -- which I'm guessing is the same port (and the only one from what I see) I attach my adapter to. If so how do I upload a bios? Is there a cable I use to hook-up to my computer and transfer it? The only thing I am certain of is that the bios (like in emulation) needs to be in BIN format.

I'd appreciate any info. I really am excited about the whole mod thing, but I've been trying for a month to figure-out what's going on and I'm starting to think I'll never get to enjoy these features a mod-ed xbox can do.

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  3. A_James

A_James Member

Can anyone help me?

4. mdsup

mdsup Guest

first you will need to flash your chip with a hacked bios...does your xbox boot to Flashbios? what kind of screen do you get when you turn your xbox on?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2005