1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help w/computer case fans

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pooman, Mar 6, 2005.

1. pooman

pooman Member

I have a 80mm fan on the side and on top of my case, a 120mm fan in the back, and a fan for the PSU. What should the proper intake/exhaust setup be? I've been trying to lower the temperature in my Aspire case but don't know how to.

Exactly how do you determine if the fan is intake or exhaust? Is it just the direction you put it in? I noticed that one side the logo of the fan spins while the other side's logo doesn't move while in operation. Does that mean anything? Sorry for the amount of questions. I just want to try cooling my system down. It was up to 95 degreesF earlier today.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

95 degrees F is not running hot, at all. That is actually running pretty cool, even if the computer is just idling.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

pooman

Your 80mm top fan should move air out of your case.

Your 80mm side fan should move air in, towards your CPU.

Your PSU is set only one way, do not take it apart or change it in any way.

Your 120mm back fan should move air out of your case.

Some Aspire cases have twin 80mm fan setups for the front of their case and those, if installed should move the air into your case.

Most of the time, the Logo that moves, as you call it, moves air away from you and the Logo, actually mounted to the frame of the fan, moves air towards you. A good suggestion is to just feel which way the air is moving. (Don't be like me and test it with your fingers or knuckels either. I can tell you with experience that those little fans can tear your nail off, and yes it hurts!)

Also I totally agree with GrandpaBW on the temperature of the inside of your case. Processor’s such as the new Prescott are allowed temps up to 167 degrees, not my personal choice, but are approved for that high a temp so it stands to reason that the air around your CPU, PSU, Graphics Card, other MB chips, etc. is going to get up there in temps along with them.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005