1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEED HELP !! WIRELESS NETWORKING

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by cecil97, Feb 3, 2007.

1. cecil97

cecil97 Guest

GOOD DAY , ALL .. HOPE EVERYONE'S FINE AND LOOKIN GOOD , ANYWAY I NEED HELP TO WORK OUT MY WIRELESS NETWORKING BETWEEN MY 2 PC'S. I AM USING D-LINK DSL 302G AS MY DSL MODEM + DLINK DI-524 WIRELESS ROUTER + DLINK WIRELESS G DESKTOP WIRELESS ADAPTER DWL-G510 WHICH IS CONNECTED TO MY OTHER COMPUTER.THE PROBLEM IS : 1) THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I AM INTO WIRELESS NETWORKING,BUT IN FAIRNESS I FOLLOW ALL THE PROCEDURES ON THE USER'S MANUAL. 2) EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE , WHEN IT COMES TO INSTALLING DRIVER AND HARDWARE ( I CAN EVEN SEE AN ICON OF THE ADAPTER ON MY OTHER COMPUTER ) BUT I AINT GOT ANY SIGNAL AT ALL . ANYWAY I LIVED IN 2 STOREY HOUSE ... I HEARD FROM SOME OTHER MATES THAT I NEED A SORT OF SECURITY NUMBER OR CODE TO AVOID SOMEONE USED MY CONNECTION OUTSIDE , PLEASE !! CAN SOMEONE OUT THERE
    TELLS ME A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE ON HOW THIS THING WORKS ..

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND ANY HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!!

CHEERS ! PEOPLE ... !

2. Wilbow

Wilbow Guest

Have you configured your router yet? You should have an install disk that will help you connect and configure the router, it will be a web based config utility that will open in your browser. You will choose an encryption method and code then and some other settings. Then you will need to set up the same codes on your PC's via their software config utility. If youve done all that and still having problems, disable Windows wireless network utility as this can conflict with your makers own config utility.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also knock off the caps lock as is refered to as shouting.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I would go to the website of the maker of the router and adapter.
    they should have good information about setting up a secure wireless network like this:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...291160&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...291212&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

and when you set up the security make sure you write down all the information as you will need to have the same thing set up on your adapter (or the PC connection settings if the adapter does not have internal settings you use software to set up like mine does) for it to connect to the router.
    You will need the type of security (WEP,WAP), the router's SSID name like Linksys_SES_4950, the security key, and the type of FTP protocall used (TKIP or TFTP)

you may also have to set the main connection on your PC that the router is hooked to for "internet connection sharing" so that more than one device can use the internet at the same time.

5. cecil97

cecil97 Guest

thanks ... Wilbow , steimy for quick reply.. i'll try to follow all things that u said ... hopefully it will gonna solve my probs ... i really appreciate what u people did ... and my apologies to Ddp , its not gonna happen again ... cheers !