1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with 2 DVDs onto 1 DVD-R Single Layer Disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jpc00, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

I have been browsing around this site for a thread or guide for combining 2 DVD-9 movies onto 1 DVD-5(-R) disk and seem to have found several hit/miss threads, but nothing definitive. I'm sure many have done this, and I have read some threads trying to explain re-authoring etc., but I just seem to be missing something. Any step by step help would be greatly appreciated.

Some of my specs are: Athlon XP 2400 CPU; 512mb RAM; 2 HDD (60gb for usual stuff & 20gb dedicated to DVD back-up/editing); ATI All in Wonder video card; Hitachi 8X DVD ROM; LiteON LDW-851s DVD Burner (8X DVD+R, 4X DVD-R)

I currently use DVD Shrink with Nero Ultra (both are upgraded to latest versions) and have not had any problems backing up a single DVD to a single DVD-R. I also have DVD Decrypter installed but haven't really used it for anything since Shrink has to be involved anyway for DVD-9 movies.

I don't care how much compression is necessary for this since it is just an experimental project. I would love to be able to get this to work so that I could put 2 of my children's movies onto 1 disc so they could watch without having to switch discs after the first is done playing. Also, not to be picky, but I would like to be able to get working menus and have read that you can't if using Shrink's re-authoring mode. As I said earlier I have Nero Ultra Edition so could use NeroVision Express or or Recode if that is the way to go. Sorry if it seems like I'm asking for the world, but you guys are good and I know if it can be done someone here will know how. Also I appologize in advance if this should be posted in another forum.

2. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

I forgot to mention I am using Windows XP Home SP2 if that helps.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'd recommend buying DVDReMake Pro. It has a Merge feature that will re-author 2 discs into 1 and add a menu to the beginning to select which movie to play. With a little work you can even use a custom selection screen. It would also be able to remove things like trailers and extras that take up a lot of space. I know most of the kids movies I've seen (and I have 4 kids so that's quite a few) have lots of trailers and other promotional material.

You can download a trial copy to see how it works, but you can't actually create the new DVD files with the trial.
    http://www.dimadsoft.com/dvdremakepro/index.php

If you need help getting started there are several people here who use it. I rarely make a backup without it.