1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with aspect ratio when playing

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CRAZYmack, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

ok, i got a file, when i convert using the normal vcd template everything is fine, it plays wide screen on dvd player. When i convert using the same vcd template just with higher resolution the aspect ratio is not the same and plays all weird in my dvd player! any help on this issue would be great. Also, whats the difference between "full screen keep source aspect ratio" and "full screen keep source aspect ratio 2" ?? ...

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

What aspect ratio is the input file and what is the frame size of the output file???

3. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I don't know the aspect ratio of the input video, normally when i load the video into TMPGenc it just automatically goest o 1:1. I don't even know what each aspect ratio is, like is 16:9 widescreen? because when i set the source aspect ratio to that and then hit keep aspect ratio and it worked. But now everytime i select 16:9 as the ratio and start encoding TMPGenc crashes on me every time...?

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

That's strange! It shouldn't crash! oh and ye btw, 16:9 is widescreen!

5. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I tried it again yesterday and it was fine till about halfway through and then i got an error, so i clicked on on the error and hit start again, then i get the "invalid pointer error" every time till i restarted again. Also if i've encoded half a file and i cancel it shouldn't the half i've encoded stay and be in mpeg because whenever i abort i lose the file and the progress that was finished.

6. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Go to TMPGEnc - Settings/Advanced and set as follows:
    Aspect Ratio - 16:9 Display
    Video Arrange Method - Full Screen (keep aspect ratio 2)

This should fix all Wide Screen issues.
    If you have a problem running TMPGEnc, I suggest you try in safe mode, if it works, then you have some program that runs and conflicts with it.