1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with Feurio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by joe123, Mar 19, 2003.

1. joe123

joe123 Guest

when i open Feurio the brief explanation window opens and i click on ok, then i get this message: Warning: You're using two IDE-devices ([1, 0, 0] (F:) SONY - DVD-ROM DDU1621 and [1, 1, 0] (E:) ATAPI - CD-R/RW 4X4X32), that are connected to the same IDE-port (if this is not the case, you can ignore this message).

THIS CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS! PARTICULARY WHEN USING TWO IDE-CD-WRITERS AT THE SAME IDE-PORT WILL HARDLY WORK!

A fundamental problem of the IDE-bus is that the bus is not capable of "multi-tasking", i.e. if one device is busy handling a command, the bus is locked until the device has finished the command - even if no data is being transmitted!
    (The IDE-BUS has no "DISCONNECT"!)
    In particular this means that the bus is locked while writing the leadin/leadout.
    This can cause the following problems when a writer is connected to the IDE-bus with other devices:

- Writer is connected with another writer:
    Recording with both writers at the same time is normally not possible, since both writers block each other. If one writer is busy with handling a recording command, the other is blocked at that time!

- Writer is connected with a CD-Rom:
    While writing you can have problems accessing the CD-Rom; error-free grabbing is often not possible then. In particular "on-the-fly" copies are often not possible.
    Even "ejecting" the CD-Rom can cause a buffer-underrun of the writer as the CD-Rom locks the bus while ejecting for a longer time, so that the writer receives no data in that time.

These problems stated here need not occur: Some writer avoid these fundamental problems of the IDE-bus by "cutting" some commands, that would take "too much" time with a special code; this code tells Feurio! that it should "ask" again in a while whether the command has finished - thus releasing the bus.

In principle we strongly recommend connecting the writer as a single device to one IDE-port, if possible!

Particulary, in our experience writing to two writers connected to one port does NOT work in most cases!

If you want to work with more than one writer at the same time, we STRONGLY recommend to use SCSI-CD-Writers! then i click ok again and i get this message: Special information on the CD-Writer: [1, 1, 0] (E:) ATAPI - CD-R/RW 4X4X32:

The firmware of the CD-Writer [1, 1, 0] (E:) ATAPI - CD-R/RW 4X4X32 isn't up-to-date
    Your CD-writer has firmware version: 3.DS.
    You will need version 3.IS for correct working with this writer.

You can download the new firmware at the URL: http://www.benq.de/ServiceAndSupport/Drivers/drivers.cfm?product=125.
    Further informations on the topic "firmware" you can find in the program help at"Firmware".
    If you have problems with updating the firmware or have further questions about the update please contact the support of the vendor of the writer - we really can't know all details about updating the firmware for all writers. what does it mean

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Use EAC joe. Fuerio is a great program for burning audio, but I really believe once you give EAC a try and print out the guide, you'll enjoy this most highly recommended audio burning program.

EAC:http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
    EAC guide:http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

Shoey

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Feurio is an audio-only program, which should lead us to the conclusion that this thread should be in the audio forum.

The error message is a recommendation that you should not have your drives connected to the same IDE connector, if you are about to perform tasks with both of the drives at the same time. A standard PC has 2 IDE-connectors, which can connect 2 to devices each (2+2=4 devices).

4. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

its just a warning telling you that with 2 ide connected to the same controller, that you can run into problems trying to use both at the same time. so, if you are trying to do a copy of an audio cd thru feurio, you could have buffer underruns and other problems if you are copying from the cd rom to the cd writer. as long as you are just using the writer to make your audio cd, it will be fine.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

2 ide interfaces connected to the same ide channel usually only applies to "copy on the fly" (coasters)

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2003
  6. joe123

joe123 Guest

im new to this, "copy on the fly" (coasters),how do i fix this or if it needs fixing

7. joe123

joe123 Guest

what is "copy on the fly" (coasters)

8. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

On the fly means that the data goes straight from your reading drive to your writing drive (not using an image). Coasters are often made when burning like this due to buffer underrun (the reading drive can't send data to the buffer fast enough for the writing drive, hence the buffer runs dry and a coaster is made).

9. minix

minix Member

You should only worry about that if you have performance problems... (That's a very old message).
    As you have been told, performance only could be lower if you use the reader and burner at the same time.

I'd be more worried about the quality of the drives. Isn't that Sony the one that rips inaccurately? Well, if it is, then Feurio should have warned you already.

This is my opinion on the same topic:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?s=45e296c1e2e09716cc489f6cc74ed364&act=ST&f=20&t=6563

Last edited: Mar 28, 2003