1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with FTPing

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by dsmock, May 5, 2007.

1. dsmock

dsmock Member

Do i need a cat-5 crossover cable to FTP with because i got one at best buy that says cat-6 RJ-45. Is there any way that i can FTP with the cable i have? pleeease help

2. dsmock

dsmock Member

please i really need help soon

3. dsmock

dsmock Member

i set my xbox ip to 192.168.0.3 and primary dns to 192.168.0.4 and it wont work so im wondering if its becasue im using a cat-6 cable

4. dsmock

dsmock Member

im also using flashFXP

5. XPBPROX

XPBPROX Member

u should stick with cat5 because cat6 has an extra wire in it so you could use it for other reasons. Although it should be able to work if it is a crossovercable. also look for tut on using crossover cables. u may want to try another ftp program

6. steimy

steimy Active member

if your going to FTP then a CAT5 crossover cable should be what you use, although i have not tried a CAT6 i thought it would still work.
    Plus you most likely have it set up wrong either on the Xbox or in the FTP program. To fix that you would have to provide a lot more information like:
    1. are you using a router?
    2. What are the settings listed on your pc? (go to start->run and type cmd to get the DOS prompt. Then type this without the quotes "ipconfig/all" and it will show you all your need, then post what it says EXACTLY. Like the IP Address, if DHCP says enabled, the Subnet mask, default gateway and first two DNS addresses.

here is an example set up.
    say the computer IP is 192.168.1.100
    you woud set the Xbox to 192.168.1.105
    the other information you use the same numbers in the Xbox as the PC. ONly the IP address should be different.
    Also if you have a router with security enabled then you have to enter the SSID name and key into the original MS Dash for it to work.
    And the FTP program can then be set up to access IP Address 192.168.1.105 with a user name and password of "xbox" no quotes and all lower case.

with networking you can not just say it won't work, there are many possible causes.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  7. dsmock

dsmock Member

ya thanks i already got an FTP connection i think my problem was that my main dashboard is XBMC

8. XPBPROX

XPBPROX Member

u can still ftp when u are using xbmc just make sure u set the settings(in xbmc) to allow ftp and ftp server.