1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with getting my computer to turn on.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ldw, Aug 10, 2004.

1. ldw

ldw Guest

Ok my question is simple. I have an old HP motherboard that I put into a new case w/ a new PSU. The model is A7N8X-LA (Asus). I need to know how to connect the power button wire on to the motherboard. (The mobo didn't come with a manual... sheesh). Anyways thank you for your help im sure you people can just tell me how to real quick.

2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Since its a HP Motherboard, they r slightly differnt to the Asus A7N8X but its pretty much the same.

All the Asus motherboards i have seen have what goes where written on the motherboard itself for the front panel.

Usually down the bottom right hand side.

It should say something like PWRSW

If it doesnt, try going to http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X and downloading that manual, the motherboard layout should be the same, and it whill have what goes where, hopefully.

Regards
    CoZZa

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Actually if you've got a screwdriver you can test around for which pins (and thus save the hassle of trying to read that tiny text), just the screwdriver up and down those jumper pins and remember which one turns the computer on :)

4. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Which, if your not carefull, can spark, but making contact with the wrong two pins, thus possibly distroying the motherboard, hence if you dont really know what your doing, could cause some problems.

Not that safe either...

Regards
    CoZZa

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL yeah I suppose the possibility is there even though ive never encountered that myself :p (you forget im crazy)

6. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Yea, i know ur crazy :p lol

I do that when i cant be bothered hooking a switch up to the motherboard, when everying is just sitting on the desk, but most boards, especially new ones (eg Late P2's early P3's) 99% of them have it labeled on the board.

Just get a little torch, shine it on the pins, and have a look for either PWSW or PSWITCH or something similar.

IDE LED, Reset, and Power Switch is usually on the same row of pins from experience.

Regards
    CoZZa