1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help with my new hard drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smash22, Feb 13, 2007.

1. smash22

smash22 Regular member

hey guys i just got a new internal hard drive EIDE WD 250g 8 mb cache 7200 rpm. Ok so i installed the drive, but its going really slow. For example i tried to move a 4.35 g movie file from my original hard drive (master) to my new drive (slave) and it took about 45 mins, which is too long. Also it would take 1hr and 1/2 to burn a iso from my new drive(slave), which usually only takes about 10 to 15 mins on my original drive(master). I also have a external WD and it would only take 4 mins to transfer a 4.35g movie file back and forth. So im trying figure out whats the problem any ideas would be very useful thanks.

i have my original drive as master and my new drive as slave. Can have a stronger IDE cable help speed things up?? thanks again guys

2. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

no
    take off the slave hd from ur pc
    don't mess up ur pc
    go buy an ext hd hub and insert in it and use it as ext hd
    u r slowing down the pc by installing to hd's
    ext hd it woeks much easier

3. smash22

smash22 Regular member

ok, good idea! So just get a external housing usb 2.0 casing right? do i have to delete the info thats already on there? Hey thanks can you lead me towards a couple cases i could possibly looking into getting thanks again

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

smash, is that new hd running on dma or pio in device manager under ide controllers

5. smash22

smash22 Regular member

very good question how would i check it, im going to look in device manager and let you know whats there, thanks for the help and i'll be right back

6. smash22

smash22 Regular member

[​IMG]

This is what is shows for my device manager should i make the change on the Secondary IDE channel from current tranfer mode of pio to dma?? hey thanks again for all the help guys

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  7. ddp

is that a clone computer or a name brand as in dell? how are the drives jumpered as in master & slave or cable select?

8. smash22

smash22 Regular member

its a dell computer, and i have the original hd as the master and the new hd set to slave.

9. smash22

smash22 Regular member

hey guys thanks for all the help, i ended up getting a maddog 3.5 external enclosure and it works great thanks again guys.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

i had that problem one myself. My cause was due to the IDE channel that i hooked it up to. I had two IDE channels in the system i built. One would allow a master and slave, the other would only allow a master so when a slave was hooked up (in my case a DVD burner) it would still work but be increadible slow. Took a couple house just to back up a movie. So i had to do some creative aranging of my drives so that everything worked right. Had to put main HDD as master on IDE1, DVD drive as slave, then slave HDD on second IDE channel by itself.

I did not have that problem with my dell as it had two IDE slots, each of which could take 2 devices so i had 2 HDD's on one and two DVD drives on the other. I think i had them jumpered as master & cable select.

11. smash22

smash22 Regular member

thanks for the input i would give it a try, but i only have 2 IDE slots. Slot 1 i have my main HDD as master and Slot 2 i have 2 dvd burners set up as master and slave. i tried adding the new HDD as slave, but it would work extremly slow.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

are you sure you had the master drive jumpered to master and the slave to slave, and that neither were on cable select? this shouldn't be an issue in your system, as typical computers are made to run up to 4 IDE hard drives at once without a problem.

13. smash22

smash22 Regular member

yeah i mad sure of it, i had the Original HDD set to master (it was originally on Cable select) and the new HDD set to slave. It was a weird issue.

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

did you try switching the channel you had your hard drives on with the one you had your dvd drives on?

15. smash22

smash22 Regular member

lol funny you say that, my friend had me switch the channels then i disconnected one of the dvd drive and hooked up the 2nd drive as slave and left the original drive as master on its own channel. I can't seem to figure out what the problem would be. thanks for your input.

16. ddp

try changing the jumpers to cable select as dells are supposed to be that way. another reason i don't like name brands.