1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my new HDTV.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ViperX, May 26, 2004.

1. ViperX

ViperX Member

I just bought a Sony 51" KP-51W5510 and I am experiencing some problems, though it might be because I am so uneducated on the topic. First off, whenever I watch DVDs I experience pixelation around edges and sometimes across the entire picture itself. For example, while watching the beginning of The Two Towers it looks like I could see pixelation in the mountains, especially while the camera was moving. When I started XMen 2, I noticed the logo wasn't smooth, I could actually make out pixels. The DVD player is a cheap GE brand so that might have something to do with it, I don't think it supports progressive scan which my TV does. Also, sometimes its like I am getting noise, whenever the screen is supposed to be completely black, it has a little fuzziness to it. Its hard to explain. Also, my DirecTV doesn't look too good which I hear is to be expected without an HDTV reciever. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi.
    On the DirecTV aspect, it wont look good on a HDTV display, such as your Sony, without a HDTV receiver. To get full use of your system, id recommend getting one.

The noise that you are experiencing good be a number of things. If you are connecting via Scart to the HDTV, it could be a dodgy connection on the player, a poor quality scart cable, or related to the poor performance of the cheaper DVD player. Also, the fuziness can be related back to the DVD video being played, depending on the bitrate it has been recorded at.

ON the DVD player, I would highly recommend getting something like the Pioneer DV565 Progressive Scanning player as this will enable you to achieve a higher quality picture. The DVD format, wasnt developed with HDTV in mind, hence the soon to be commercially available HD DVD format discs (within 2-3years prob) which will enable a higher quality HDTV picture. To combat this, we need to use Line Doublers/Progressive Scanning to enable the HDTV to add more than the normal amounts of lines found on normal TV's.

My advice would be to get the Pioneer or another decent Progressive Scanning DVD player, connect it using Component Video Cables if possible, and make sure that the cable is of a high standard. However, you will probably still notice slight pixelations on longer DVD movies.

Chris

3. ViperX

ViperX Member

Ok, I just bought a Sony DVD Player which supports Progressive Scan to match my TV and I am still getting pixelation on The Two Towers. I know you said I would probably still notice it but I don't think I ever noticed it on my uncle's Pioneer 53" HDTV. By the way, I got my TV at a rental store so I could eventually own it and they told me it was the one on display which they kept going all day with Finding Nemo playing. They said it hadn't been up there too long but could those long straight hours decrease the qaulity? I think I am going to call them today and see if they will exchange my current TV with one that was in the box since they should have one. I just want the otimal performance. Maybe I should look at a different brand? This Sony got great reviews from customers at Circuit City so I am not sure.

Edit: It seems like I notice pixelation on the faces of people the most.

Last edited: May 27, 2004
  4. ViperX

ViperX Member

Oh, I forgot to thank you for the reply. I appreciate it!

5. erichm

erichm Guest

Hey Viper,

Yes playing finding Nemo all day can damage the TV. I have worked in a high end home theater store for about a year. Sometimes while playing the demo, if not watched, it will go back to the menu screen. If left unattended it can cause permanant burn in damage to the screen and the guns.

Have you tried recalibrating the guns since you bought or moved the TV. Everytime you move a tv it needs to be recalibrated. If not the RGB will be out of allignment.

6. ViperX

ViperX Member

Thanks Erich, no I haven't recalibrated since I don't know how. I don't really know much about HDTVs.

7. erichm

erichm Guest

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/SonyTVissue.html

There is a little bit of info about rear projections especially sony. There is tons of info on the web about this kind of thing, just search on google and read up a bit. You will be an expert in no time.

Your TV manual will have some setup info. I suggest reading it and following the steps they provide.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hi, as Eric says, Finding Nemo could cause slight screen burn on the TV. However, as Eric also said, this will only happen if the TV is displaying a constant image that doesnt change. With most DVD players, there are built in screen savers that detect no playback on the DVD and kick into screen saving mode. I dont think that the pixelation will be a direct result of this.

The reason for pixelation is always nearly reduced bitrates. If for instance, the LOTR disc is a back up, then that would be a main reason for pixelation. A lot of people notice pixelation on largers screens for normal DVD's anyway. This is because the bitrate on a DVD may be as low as 4MBps, whereas for us HDTV users, we really need something greater than 12MBps to have excellent quality.

Changing your DVD player was the first step. With the Progressive Scanning enabled (needs to be set to on as it will automatically be set to off) and connection using Component Cables, you should notice a big difference in picture quality.