1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with my new Samsung flatscreen CRT

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by daimyo, Oct 14, 2004.

1. daimyo

daimyo Member

I have just bought a Samsung 790df from Sam's Club.
    Nice price, but it's kind of quirky in a way...

It looks slightly squashed or bent when you look at -especially- the top 1/3 of the screen, Firefox browser
    bookmarks bar line and above looks like it's curving up slightly from center, or my Yahoo messenger window even when in the center of the sceen looks like it's curving too slightly from the center. Now, I have looked at the manual, experimented with the settings in the monitor's menu, changed display settings... And it still looks slightly off. Is this a flatscreen thing or what?

FYI: I'm running XP Pro, and I think the video card
    (GeForce2 MX/MX400) is a little out of date, but the drivers aren't...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    Go to this site.........

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4226.html

On the left side of the screen click on 'VIDEO'
    Download 'NOKIA MONITOR TESTER'

Run the utility and check to see if there is any distortion. You will know if it's bad!

Use all the tabs.This is a fantastic utility for all monitors.It checks just about everything........and the best part is it's free!!!

Flatscreen monitors mean just that--it's flat and there should be no visible distortion.

If it's bad--return it
    If they give you grief--give them hell!!

Good Luck!

3. daimyo

daimyo Member

Ok, now this is REALLY weird. I ran that test (thanks!)
    and while the test grid screens don't show the weirdo
    curvature, when I go back to browser window/desktop it's still there. Hallucinating? WTF? any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!
    That is strange..............you say the browser is distorted. What about a jpeg image? Is it also distorted? Try the monitor on a different machine and if the distortion persists return it.

If it goes away there may be something wrong with the video output from your machine. Have you seen this before? Double check the monitor settings.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try a different video card(newer),also update your video driver nvidia v61.76 for win9x

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

You might have to adjust the settings on the monitor itself.

On the front, sometimes the side, it will have some buttons. Go into the menu and adjust the settings until you get it straight. Some monitors do that.

Or try changing the resoultion eg from 800x600 to 1024x768 and see if that fixes it.

CJC

7. daimyo

daimyo Member

The only thing I didn't do was get a new video card, which will of course be next. Thanks.

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Its not your video card that is the problem.

It is the settings on the monitor itself.

You will probably find it something to do with the Pincushion or Trapezoid settings thats making it look 'slightly squashed' or 'curving slightly from the center'

CJC

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Could be the classic ghost-illusion
    2. Could it be burn-in problems

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

It shouldnt be a burn in problem as it is a New Monitor and shouldnt be a Ghost illusion as i think they mean when they run the test the monitor is fine, but when they go back to the normal screen its back to being curved etc...

Therefore that is telling that the settings on the monitor itself isnt correctly adjusted like i said before.

CJC

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I meant the optical illusion that occurs when looking at high contrast grid-structures :)

12. daimyo

daimyo Member

"Therefore that is telling that the settings on the monitor itself isnt correctly adjusted like i said before."

I know you are trying to help, but TWICE NOW, I have stated: I HAVE TRIED THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK. I had the guy who built my PC come over, and HE played around with the controls on the monitor, AND the resolution settings, and pretty much gave up on it- told me "it's not that bad, live with it".
    (PC builders are not necessarily video experts.)

Apparently I am more anal than he, as I believe that the lines should be FLAT across the playing field.
    The black border across the top,what little I can see, is bent a little too,
    BUT this wasn't evident when using that test screen I
    was told about. Verry puzzling.
    Ummmmmmm: What are "burn in" problems?

ADDENDUM: to describe further, when I change resolution so there is MORE black border between desktop viewing area and edge of screen, the desktop pic still has the same curve. <sigh> sorry this is so drawn out, ppl. I won't post anymore until I have A: checked it out with another machine B: gotten a replacement and or
    C: a new vid card. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

burn in problems is when a monitor is left on all the time on the same screen that it burns an image into the screen that you can see when the monitor is turned off. did the monitor come with software & was it loaded. still try updating video card

14. CJC

CJC Regular member

The only reason why im saying that is that i have had a few customer's computers with the same problems, and its just a matter of playing around with the settings, but if it doesnt work for you well... yea...

Another thing might be to make sure that your video drivers are up to date and see if there is any drivers for your monitor.

CJC

15. daimyo

daimyo Member

Once again, I will quote myself from my 1st post:
    "I think the video card(GeForce2 MX/MX400) is a little out of date, but the drivers aren't..."
    Now, the 1st thing I did when I noticed this problem was to update the video card drivers, the 2nd being to install the proprietary Samsung driver that came with it.
    The 3rd was: Change the settings on the monitor. The
    menu selections DO actually do what they are supposed to,
    but strangely NONE of the adjustments seem to fix this.

16. daimyo

daimyo Member

I dunno, between myself and the guy in electronics at the Sam's (who actually knew what he was doing) it's possible
    that we were BOTH hallucinating but it semed like both
    the older model of this unit and the 790df on the diplay
    shelf in store had this problem too. Maybe it IS a flatscreen CRT thing, but my PC tech has one at home (went there to do the test on another machine) and
    HIS didn't look like that! I really don't know what to
    think, I am just going to go shop around now...again.
    Thanks, all~!