1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Norton Ghost 9.0

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by geestar20, Jan 11, 2005.

1. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I have Norton Ghost 9.0 and i have know idea how to work the damn thing. Reason Im asking is so I don't want to contact microsoft to reactivate when i have to reformat my harddrive do to stupid things that I do to my sytsem.

So bare with me as i probably have a million dumb questions.

Aslo is Norton Ghost the same as Nero back it up?
    Or is that comparing apples to oranges?

Thanks guys :)

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would think the best way to do it is. If you can get another HD .. clone your current HD. Then store the cloned drive in a safe place.

Praetor is a good one to ask. I know he's used Ghost alot.

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

As i searched for a day and a half on a freakin tutorial and the only thing that comes up is Ghost 2003. from the little information I gathered i either need to get another HD or partition my (C:) drive which i have already done just for this.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Yea you can do that to. I'm surprised Nephilim hasn't chimed in. I think he's used it before. Also Ghost 9 and Ghost 2003 aren't that different.

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

quick update. I partioned my (C:) drive which is a 80gb HD into 2 40Ggb HD (I might add this is my notebook er, laptop)

Reformated the (C:) drive with a fresh install of XP. Once XP was reformated and fresh XP install, instead of using Norton Ghost 9.0 I used PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0 to make a back up my whole (C:) drive which was about 2gb total which is pretty much a bare bone image backup

Qustion: is this suficiant *2gb total which is pretty much a bare bone image backup*?

Most of my programs will go on my new partioned drive any way so I hope I did this right.

It was pretty simple to use just hope it works when needed.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i used norton ghost 5.1c new years eve on customer's computer with no problem

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Its not that I had issues running the program, I just issues actually using it.

Its a whole new program for me and Norton Ghost instrustion might as well be like a dog understanding human conversations.

but thanks guys, i think I got it...I think.

8. ddp

your not certain yet????

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

i could use all the help I can get

for instance, If I ghost my image while I have a antivirus going will it ghost it? And also if I decide to go back to the image I ghosted and restore will the antivirus be set back?

Like I said, I have a million dumb questions about ghosting my HD

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I use Ghost 2003.

Do Clean install of Windows XP
    Setup all drivers
    Setup all programs you want on ghost disc.

(except Nortons Anti virues): I had it instaalled once and did nothing but cause problems after doing a recovery.

So I put The Nortons Anti-Virues instlation files in my Documents so when I do a recovery all i have to do is go there install NAV then delet the exe file after install.

Saves time fumbling thru CDs to install its right there at your finger tips.

After setting up programs I then do update for windows and all programs.

Opened up Ghost 2003 click on backup then backed up the system to a DVD blank media.

Now if my system crashes or I want to do a clean install I insert the DVD Rom restart my computer and use the disc to do a complete Img reinstalation.

I do this often. I back up DVDs so i use alot of programs see what they do what thier like. After a while your sytem gets kinda bugy installing and uninstalling programs. So I just save the programs I like on a disc recover my HD back to previous stage.

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I didn't back up on a cd/dvd but I backed it up on my partioned drive, should I do a back up on cd? I don't have a dvd-rw but I have a cd-rw/dvd rom on my notebook but I don't mind 3 or 4 cd's

Also will it back up the registry as well?

12. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Also if I have anything on the (C:) drive that i installed (lets say a pc game), all will be erased once I do a recovery?

13. ddp

if game not on recovery disk(s) than bye bye

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

with Nero ghost when you do a drive backup its taking a snapshot of your hard drive copying everything. Using regular CD's backing up your hard drive can take up to 6 to 8 disc depending on how much you have to copy. With my DVD disc I only have to use 1 disc.

With games I asume they would copy them as well. Most of the recovery disc you get with computers like HP/Gateway/Dell/ etc etc are image files of the complete hard drive. Which they use a ghost file for it.

15. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I get it now...sorta, but that puts into more perspective (did I spell that right, HA!)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  16. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You really need to stop messing up your PC ;)

17. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I know I know but this will be the last program I will test and use once I get the hang of it (you know im lying :D)

Another quick update:

I backed up my C drive to a DVD, I went to test it and it gave me an error saying to use image drive startup cd or somthing like that, whats that about.

I then backed up the C drive to my D drive, I tried to restore from C drive from my D drive and I keep getting *this file may be in use do you want to overwrite this* I then select yestoall, it goes for a while then keeps poping up with the same message *this file may be in use do you want to overwrite this*

How do restore the drive without all these messages and selecting yestoall evey two minutes?

18. larrylje

larrylje Active member

What program you using? Ghost or power quest image drive?

If you dont set it up to burn the start up files with your DVD backup you will get that message. you have to have a start up disc to use the backup file of your hard drive.

You should bebale to go into the program and make a startup disc

19. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Im using power quest image drive and I also have Norton ghost 9.0, but Power Quest is the one im using.

I'll see if I get that option or can create that option of "set it up to burn the start up files "

Whats the whole "mount image" thing about?