1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by timmy42, Mar 16, 2006.

1. timmy42

timmy42 Member

i set up my pc a few months ago and its been working fine but i want to upgrade myram but it only lets me have one stick in at a time.

when i but two in it only reads one but if i put the ram in slot two it reads that one. my motherboard can support it up to a gig in each slot.

i have two 256 ddr pc2100 pin 184 and i want them to both work not just one can anyone help me please.

2. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

what happens when u go into the bios does it show up as two or 1 have u tried all combinations ie mem 1 in slot one then mem 1 slot 2, then mem 2 in slot one and then mem 2 in slot 2 the both?, if so does it all work normally just only cing one?

3. timmy42

timmy42 Member

yes i have tryed all variations and i was upgrading beacuse when i had one stick of ram in it kept on going to a blue screen and saying system memory dump witch i thought is ram.

thanks

4. Sonic168

Sonic168 Member

Just some tips here. Are the two ram module identical? Did them come as a package to run in dual channel. Next thing you might try is to run MemTest86 or similar program to see if the ram is fine. Refer to the MB manual to see if you can set the timing down in the BIO.

Hope this can help.

5. timmy42

timmy42 Member

no they did not come in a pair but they are idential exsept the maker i take it that you have to have two the same for dimm to work

the ram is ok i have checked it and i bought it from somewhere where they check them anyway

6. timmy42

timmy42 Member

So what do you think i should do? should i get a pair and what do you men by
    i know about clocking and timing but what should i set them to.

thanks

7. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Yoh, Boss. What make and model is your PC?? Or, do you know your motherboard make and model?? This way, I can look it up for you to be sure....ok??

Let us know.

8. timmy42

timmy42 Member

ok i have my mobo manual still but here you go

its a jetway a353dms mobo and it has ati radeon 9100 pro igp if that helps.

i will double check the ram that they are identical but how could i do this?

i can still get the specs for one of them off the site i bought it from but how could i find out the other rams specs.if this matters that please tell me

can you explain the whole thing with dimm ram have they got to be in pairs or what??

thanks to everyone so far.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ideally you want them to be the same brand, although this isn't crucial. The speeds are what are important, check on the labels to see if they're the same speed (look for numbers after PC - PC2100,PC2700 and PC3200 are the common ones today). If you have the RAM in slots 2&3 they will need to be identical as they may be trying to run Dual channel mode - two RAM sticks operating synchronously to operate at a higher speed. This is only possible if the RAM is identical. You need to make sure they're in slots 1&2.
    You won't have speed compatibility issues because the A353DMS support 400mhz (PC3200) RAM. However, you could if the RAM is running at a different speed (not likely but check the label).
    If all else fails you may just need to get two sticks the same.

10. timmy42

timmy42 Member

can you explain this slots to me i have two slot on my mother board where i can slot ram in. but my mobo manual says numbers like 0-1 2-3
    or somert simular so what can i do?

thanks so if i buy another ram stick i can have my pc up and running. i have been playing halo on it but it has been laggy as hell at some parts i ma just the game but it is normaly alright.

thanks again.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the game gets laggy, then you may not have enough memory. With only two RAM slots you'll want at least 512MB modules, preferably 1GB ones really, since you can easily exceed 1GB of memory in big games such as Halo.
    However, lag can either be an occasional jerk without seemingly anything notable happening, usually accompanied by major slowdown when you first enter a new area. This instance means insufficient memory.
    or, "lag" can mean when lots is going on the screen gets jerky, this means you're graphics card isn't fast enough to cope.
    Which graphics card do you have?

12. timmy42

timmy42 Member

ok i have checked my ram and it says

stick1:
    pc3200 -3

i could not find pc3200 but i did find

Sick2:
    vt56dd32m8pc -5

so is this what you need to know also stick 1 make is memorymax
    and stick 2 is veritech

so what is better stick one or stick two stick two i can buy again but stick one i cant

will this not work i think i have made i big mess of this but thanks for helping me.

13. timmy42

timmy42 Member

my graphics card is a asus radeon a9250 gamer edition.

can you help with that socket thing too please

thanks.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what I can gather those are both CAS3 400mhz modules. The top one as you may notice makes it very easy to tell what it is!
    Since they're both the same speed and latency they should work together. However, since they don't you'll need to replace at least one of them. To avoid more conflicts, I'd recommend you advertise both of them on ebay, and buy yourself a matched pair of sticks, like Corsair or Kingston. If you can afford it, a 2x1GB pair is the best option you can do.
    This is about as good as you get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575
    If you can't afford that much (bear in mind you'll be selling your existing modules so making a fair bit back)
    then this will do:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450
    But of course a lot of games want more than 1GB of RAM these days.

15. timmy42

timmy42 Member

thanks so how do i know if they are a pair.

also what does that -3 , -5 mean?
    thanks

16. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Timmy, it looks like Sammy is helping you out. Thanks, Sammy. Good luck and yes, I agree with Sammy. With gaming, more is better. I also like the crucial.com website for memory purchases and I use Kingston memory myself. Good luck and keep us posted.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

While Kingston memory is known for quality, I know of someone who had a stick that was DOA, so you can never guarantee anything. the -3 will mean a CAS latency of 3, meaning it takes 3 clock cycles of the memory to complete a request. If it's 400mhz then one clock happens every 2.5ns so it takes 7.5ns to complete a request. Obviously CAS2 memory will do it in 5.

As for the -5 I'm not sure because you don't get CAS5 memory. It may be a production code or model type.

18. timmy42

timmy42 Member

i am on a bit of a buget so what do you recomend but two 512 stick or do you think i should save up and get two gig sticks. or

should i just get another one of my 256 of ebay they would make

512 then ddr would make it a gig that would be ok.

i wish i could just sell one and return the other but i dont have a sellers acount and i hatepackaging thigs.

thanks

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Really, since you're selling those sticks on ebay, I'd really urge you to try and get the 2x1GB if you can. It'll make such a difference in the long run since you're a gamer. Plus of course Windows Vista will need bootloads of RAM. 1GB is about the minimum for gaming with Vista, so 2GB will stand you in good stead. If you can make $30 each on selling those sticks you're only left with $90 to make up, less if you can get a rebate.

I've just noticed your graphics card post. The 9250 unfortunately really is a budget edition GPU, gamers edition or not and as such won't produce great results with games overall, well not modern games anyway. I had a 9200 which was similar, and whilst it played UT2004 well, you could count out Doom 3 and Half life 2 really.
    It's a toughie. How much will you be gaming? Will you want to play newer titles than halo? If you will you may want to consider upping the 9250 as well at some point. If you're not then both the 9250 an 1GB will suffice, but your system will still suffer if you upgrade one but not the other.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  20. timmy42

timmy42 Member

ok thanks

so i need a pair of ram with identical specs and that should work.

thanks every one for helping me i think i will go to for the two gig sticks.