1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with shrink, decryptor and nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Vicus, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Vicus

Vicus Member

I just tried backing up a movie, everything went smooth until I tried to play it, my dvd player, ps2 and my computer dvd player don't recognize it, the ps2 deosn't even show that there is a disc in it. The computer dvd player says the title of the disc is dvd shrink, could that be a problem? is there ant tricks I should know about, any tips would be great help thanx.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Vicus,
    For reasons unknown (!), DVD burning is still a trial and error thing for most people. That's why you see so many posts about it here. So you need to be patient and tell us more about your situation:
    1) Is this your first DVD burning job?
    2) What softwares are you using for the burn job?
    3) What brands are your burner and media (DVD)?
    Give these, and you'll soon find a lot of people here offering help (or at least the moderator? *_*).

3. Vicus

Vicus Member

I am using Nero ultra edition, shrink 3.14 and decryptor 3.19, My burner is a BenQ DW1620 dvd rw/r dual layer, the disc was a memorex rw, they were cheap, I bought them before I saw this site, since I've changed to Maxell RW's. another question I have is that people use shrink then either nero or decryptor to burn, so how do you get through the css encryption so that you can shrink the disc? all of the posts I've read never mention using decryptor first. And by the way yes this is my first burn/copy. Thanx

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  4. Persy

Persy Regular member

u may need a decoder...does regular dvd's work on ur computer?....if not dl something like power dvd or windvd....that may work....without a decoder u can't burn anything that's why it isn't working on anything.....so yeah...dl power dvd and see what happens...good luck

5. Persy

Persy Regular member

nope that's not a problem...u can name the title of ur disc anything u want it should still work

6. Vicus

Vicus Member

OK, so I got the newest version of DVD SHRINK, the one with the decoder in it, I tried copying the same dvd I tried before, it plays in my comp. my ps2 is a peice of crap and it won't do nothing now but in stand alone players it won't work, it's a toshiba, lately from others that have burned dvd's apart from this site have said that they burned their disc's as dvd's not iso's. I personaly think they are full of s@#$ but I'm new so I could be wrong, when Shrink uses Nero to burn what should be the settings for a successful burn or am I still using crap media, also my disc's are "RW", so is + or - better any info is much ablidged, thanx in advance.

7. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Most stand alone players are dash. So if you are burning plus, they will not work. But mostly it can be trail and error to get copies to work in stand alones. Different media and slower burn rate.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear Vicus,
    Glad to know that you're getting somewhere, and people are helping out. Two additional points from my own experience:
    1) Yes, you can copy directly from DVD to DVD. I do it all the time using Nero+DVD43.
    2) Many stand-alone players cannot handle RWs. So you may try -R first.
    Keep up the good efforts!

9. madmax13

madmax13 Guest

believe i found this in the forums somewhere so hope this will help you in your problems, i use my ps2 to play the burns in my house and its not always the disc i have found out after decorating the house full of cup coasters.

Let’s go get one of your favorite DVD’s and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen like an ice flow
    hitting the Mojave Desert and freezing the original, you’ll have a backup of it -

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will
    work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't
    forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/Pirates of the Caribbean
    Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD
    Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as
    your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter
    errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD
    Decrypter all by itself.
    Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives).
    If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in
    either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, after all my efforts, it had better be
    Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Ridata, Sony or media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could well be the cause
    of errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play
    in standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way
    we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look
    how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in. If you don't know what I'm talking about – you had better go back to
    reading these forum threads and seeing all the poor media complaints -.
    Now go into DVD Shrink, click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as
    "Custom" and set the size anywhere between "4260MB" to "4300" - we do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very
    edge of the disc. Then, under the "File I/O" tab [bd]un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". Let's do it now !
    Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? First let's open DVD Shrink, now "click" "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD.
    If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the
    foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This
    will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of
    all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click
    "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest
    one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the
    left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the
    least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.
    If you want a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is
    depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a full backup
    as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar,
    simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red"
    visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second
    and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter".
    We're almost done, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and
    click "Save". Finally,
    That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO
    image to your waiting blank DVD. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?
    Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done
    OK, time to move on (switching to the moving on mode
    And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working
    DVD XCopy clicks -
    1, "Is this a rental or borrowed DVD."
    2. "To use this program you must agree to respect the rights of the copyright holders.
    3. "Movie Only" OR "Entire Disk"
    4 "Start"

DVD Shrink clicks -
    1 "Open Disc"
    2. "Backup"
    3. "OK"
    Enjoy my friend, enjoy,