1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With TV Series Backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SirenStar, Apr 17, 2007.

1. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Hi everyone:)

I haven't posted here for a few yrs and the last time I did, there were some very helpful people. At that time I was ripping DVD TV series and converting to AVI. I wasn't completely successful since alot of them (from the same series) didn't come out well. Only a small percentage came out ok. Now what I want to do is just copy the DVD to the hard drive and then onto a DVD+r.

First thing I need to know is what program to use. I had a friend recommend DVD Decrypter but I didn't see that here in the software downloads. Also, even though I would rather have a freeware program, I don't mind paying for one if it works with Windows Vista. Vista won't let you download or install anything it isn't compatible with so I don't want to buy anything that won't work cause I can't afford to waste the money. Also, will a disc of episodes from a TV series fit on a 4.36g DVD or are they usually too big? Because of this, I don't know what kind of program I should get, ripping or copying.

Any help is appreciated and I hope it's ok to ask about all this in this forum. I wasn't sure but since I want to backup my discs to DVD+R, I figured this was the place.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

For the Free ripper DVDFab is the best available

Get it here http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

this is what i would do for backing up a series dvd
    either blank out half the episode with VObBlanker(free)
    or
    do a full backup with DVD-RB(not free) using rebuilder will get you the best picture quality hands down(for a SL disk)

however when using VOBblanker and by taking out half the episodes you will either have little or no compression at all.

Here is a basic guide for blanking with VObBlanker
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides/alkohol_guide6.html

PS i only use DVD-RB now for all my series backups

3. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Thanks for the quick reply 300bowler. I d/l'd the DVD Fab. I'm not really sure about the VOB program. I understand that it removes all the "junk". Does that usually remove enough so that it fits on a regular DVD+R?

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

no to make it fit on a SL disk, you have to blank out the episodes.

ie. lets say you have a series disk that has 10, 20+ min episodes,
    what i would do is blank the last 5 episodes out then proccess, creating a new folder, and depending on how big it is burn that folder or make it fit with shrink,
    then bascially do the same thing but blank the first 5 episodes out and continue on.

edit-here are some pics for ya
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

It still sounds like mush to me but I sorta get it. I'm sure if I had the program and opened it up, it would be clearer. I looked at it at the download site and it doesn't mention Windows Vista so I didn't get it.

I have another issue. I downloaded and used the DVD Fab. I put disc one on the hard drive and it copied rather quickly, less than half an hour. There are 9 eps on the disc less than half an hour each. I checked the DVD Fab folder and there was a video and an audio folder. There was nothing in the audio folder and 54 VOB, IFO and BUP files in the video folder. I'm confused and really don't know what to do with it. I was under the impression that even if you didn't want to burn the cd, that you could watch it from your hard drive and this won't do that. Any additional help is appreciated:)

6. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Ok, I downloaded VOB Blanker and it's not coming up the way it's supposed to from your pictures (which was very nice of you to put up, thanks:)). In your examples, it shows one large file that you highlight and then all the eps show up on the bottom. In mine, it shows the 9 eps (among other small files) individually (all of them over 800mb) and when I highlight them individually, the corresponding ep will show on the bottom. If I highlight more than one, or all of them, still only one shows on the bottom. I haven't gone any further cause I don't know what I'm doing and I really want to know if these are going to burn properly so I can watch them on the copies. I wanted to watch them on the hard drive too but that doesn't seem possible so I still need some help.

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

if i understood you correctly, all of the episodes show individually on the top window, then when you select one it shows that one in the bottom window?

Are they like around 30 min episodes for each?

here are some new pics for ya, again if i understood what you were saying
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if you have trouble post back or maybe post a screen shot of yours

edit-
    You need a dvd player program to watch, just drag the video_ts folder into the player
    VLC media player should play it

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  8. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

I wound up using the skip feature for the ones I didn't want to process and just processed the rest. That worked fine and I even was able to watch them but NOW (lol) I tried to burn them and the program froze itself and when I tried to "end task" it seems the whole puter was in limbo so I rebooted. On the disc, there was one episode that actually recorded but it wasn't recognised by the drive and it wouldn't play. Any ideas why the burning process froze, etc, etc? Thanks again for the help:)

9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Why not use the Blank button instead of skip?

Also what program are you using for burning?
    If using Nero post a burn log.
    find it here
    C:program files/nero7/nero/core
    look for the nerohistory.txt file, dont forget to edit your serial # out

Also another way to do this(if you dont mind having no menus) is to use dvd shrink with RE-author Mode,

10. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

My VOB Blocker is beta 10 and it looks a bit different than yours. There is no blank button on the Title List box and the eps won't all go down below so I just used Skip in the Title List Box and processed.

Nero is my fav burner but I don't have it right now. I bought a digicam last month and they included the software but it wouldn't install cause of Windows Vista so I can't even get an upgrade. I don't think I should have to buy it since they included it with my camera so I emailed them to see what they might do about it. I'm not sure which burner was being used when I tried to make the DVD. I have one from Toshiba and there is the one with Media Player Classic. When I go to the folders where they are at, there is a burn button on the task bar and I just clicked on that. Don't know which burner was doing the work. Only one file out of the 4 eps burned and it wasn't even complete so I don't know what is going on.

11. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Can you post a screen shot of vobblanker

12. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Sure, if you can tell me how to do that lol. Never done one before.

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

ok, signup for a free image hosting account, like Photobucket.com

then upload the pic to the website, then copy the URL LINK and paste it here in AD

Oh yeah, make sure that VobBlanker is the active window, then
    press Alt+PrtScn then open paint program and paste it on there then save
    or
    Ctrl+PrtScn(this will copy the whole desktop)

then open paint program and paste it on there then save
    or

(PrtScn should be above the Home key on your keyboard)
    if you dont have that key there are programs that can snap a screenshot
    MWsnap is a free one