1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by James716, Jun 21, 2004.

1. James716

James716 Guest

Hi,
    I'm a newbie, I'tried to look for answer of how to copy VHS to DVD in the forum but nothing, I had a VHS wedding of my niece and would like to copy it to DVD,
    Please help me Pals,
    James

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you need a Video capture device of some sort...Anything from a $50 TV Card to a $500 Analogue Digital converter...
    Then you capture your Movie to your hard drive as either an AVI file or as a Mpeg2 file...
    Then you either Just use a DVD authoring Program to author the Captured Mpeg2 file to DVD or if you captured to AVI you would use a Mpeg encoder to encode the Captured AVI file to Mpeg2 and then use a DVD authoring Program to Author the Mpeg2 file to DVD with menu"s and Chapters.......

You need a Fairly fast PC like at least 2.0ghz and haveing a second Big Hard drive for Video files is also a Good Idea because captureing to say Uncompressed AVI can take up as Much as 1.2gb per minute of Video, and Of Cource a Capture device(Don"t get a USB one cuz most of them suck)...
    You will need Capture Software what Type of Software would depend on the Type of Capture device you have and the Quality of the Video you want to capture...You also should Probably get some Video editing Software if you will need to do any editing, You will also need a Mpeg encoder to convert your Captured Files to Mpeg2 for DVD and you will need a DVD authoring Program which you use tyo add Chapters and Menu"s to your Movie and it will Burn it all to DVD for you.....

If you leave a Little More info on what you are Trying to do and with what Type of Hardware you have then I can give you more information.....Cheers

3. James716

James716 Guest

Hi Minion,
    Thank you very much for your instruction, I'm now having a PC with a config as belows:
    - AMD athlon 2600
    - 512 memory ram
    - DVD rom R/RW
    So, I do not know what software/hardware I need to look for in doing what you just had me to do, please tell me more..
    Thank a lot mate..

4. amsp

amsp Member