1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by nintari, Aug 28, 2004.

1. nintari

nintari Member

Hi, I just bought a capture unit for my pc. It's my first so I know very little about the whole process.

I need help figuring out why the total amount of recording time on my pc is only 1 hour and 11 minutes in the best quality mode. Even in the lowest quality, I can only get 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Why?

In the back of the book it says something about using a NTSF formatted hard drive instead of FAT...which is what I'm using. Could that be an issue?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes Haveing a Fat16 or Fat32 Drive can cause Problems as Fat 16 only has a 2gb File size Limit and Fat32 has a 4gb file size limit and your Captured Files can Be Much Larger than 4gb depending on the Format you are Captureing to....
    If you are Planning to Put these Files on DVD then you can Have Problems as DVD Images can excede 4gb and so can the Files you are Authoring to DVD...

The Problem could be something else, Maybe you should Leave some Info on what type of Capture device you have and What Capture software you are Useing and what Format you are Captureing to and What your System specs are....

3. nintari

nintari Member

Well, I converted my FAT32 file system the NTFS and now I can capture 2 and a half hours with top quality.

But now I have a new problem. After a capture a movie file, I can't load it up to burn. Like, when I try to load up the capture...my system takes FOREVER to do it. I clicked to load up the capture I made last night at 9 am this morning...and it's STILL GOING at 5 pm!!! My system just keeps loading and loading. The file is 4.7GB.

What's causing such pathetic slowness?

MY PC is an AMD processor, 1.30 GH,250 MB RAM. Im using Videoh! DVD USB 2.0 by Adaptec. And the software they gave me was Sonic My DVD.

Can anyone please help me.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well try to use something else to Author the DVD...
    I haven"t had much experience with Sonic MyDVD but the other Sonic programs I have used took a Long time to Load and analize the Source file....

Maybe Try useing DVDLab which is what I usually use??
    It doesn"t take any time to load in source files, it will just seperate your Mpeg file into seperate audio and Video files but that only takes a couple minutes..
    You can download a Fully working 30 day demo of DVDlab here:
    "http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/"

You actually can not put 4.7gb on a DVD-R because DVD-R"s say they hold 4.7gb but in reality they hold 4700mb which is 4.38gb....

Cheers

5. turkey

turkey Regular member

this is a bit of a hunch but it is possible that because you have converted to NTFS, rather then formated in NTFS, that the system is acting funny. i would also guess that the hard drive is severely fragmented. try defragmenting the hard drive to see if it helps...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]i like to eat turkey...[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  6. nintari

nintari Member

Thanks for the help guys. But I think I figured out the problem. My hard drive is only 16GB lol. I'm using my C drive for the capture card...and it only has 6GB left.

Am I right in thinking that's my problem?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  7. turkey

turkey Regular member

i would guess the low free space and slow hard drive is very much the problem. frankly, i am suprised you have gotten as far as you have with the hardware setup you're useing.

the "loading" process you speak of is probably creating a temperary file on the hard drive that might be 4.7GB or more. this process would fill up the remaining free space and drain the resourses of your drive and of the computer. at the very least you should install another, faster hard drive dedicated to capturing, authoring and burning. it might not be possible to finish the job you're working on without some new hardware...

8. nintari

nintari Member

Well that's what I thought lol. Thanks for the help.

Whats happening is, once a capture the video and have it saved and edited the way I want it and try to burn the file..it just boggs all the way down to a dead stop until I get an error. During when it says "building movies" that is.

At that point I get "criticaly low disk space" poping up. I double clicked on it and it said I was down to 52MB of hard drive space left and I was only half way done building the movie file to burn lol.

I'm going to go out and buy a new hard drive tomorrow. What size should I go for? Can I get by with a 120GB hard drive?

9. turkey

turkey Regular member

certainly you will "get by" with a 120GB drive. really all you will need is a drive with at least an 8MB buffer and running at 7200RPM. western digital makes a "special edition" drive that is very good and not too expensive. online, a 120GB WD SE drive might only cost $85, maybe even cheeper on ebay...

10. nintari

nintari Member

Will check that out. Thanks for all the help :)

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Tiger Direct has a deal on right now for Seagate 200GB 8mb Buffer drives for $89 which is like .40c a Gig which is an awesome deal...

Cheers