1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 1ceCold, Jun 25, 2007.

1. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Alright, I put my ps2 drive(160) in my pc(20). Worked fine. PC had a critical error so I reformatted my ps2 drive for the pc so i could use a recovery tool to get everything off of the 20gig. Got it all off. Reformatted it, Transfered everything from the 160 to the 20. Reformatted the 160 to use it back in my ps2. Went to take it out and now the computer wont boot without it. So, I reformatted AGAIN this time without it. Seemed to be booting more slowly. After getting it have I wanted it. I put it back in to put some games on it. Put one on it. Went to take it out. Turned the pc back on and the same problem happened. Ive read everywhere on these forums and I cant seem to find anyone who's posted about this problem. Someone please help! Thanx, 1ceCold

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

3. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Thanx DDP, Wasnt sure where to post.

4. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

BUMP!!!!

5. ddp

no bumping, just have some patience as could take a few days before you get a responce.

6. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Sigh, Been waiting over a week on other forums.

7. ddp

might happen here too so have some patience.

8. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Holy crap ANYONE! Im in a hurry here.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Don't be, and don't bump posts. I typically reply to posts with no replies as a priority, so bumped posts sometimes pass me by altogether.
    What happens when you turn the PC on without the drive? What error do you get? Are you sure the drive doesn't have anything related to windows on it?
    However, before you answer those, does the drive have jumpers?
    I'm going to assume from the fact you have a 20GB Drive, and the other went in a PS2, that both are IDE (the large 40-pin connector). This means they must be setup as master or slave. There is usually a jumper involved in setting that (a metal slot that bridges two pins together, see the hard drive's label for which pins). Check the drive in your PC is set to be master, then check it's detected as master in the BIOS.

10. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Thank you, And sorry for the bumping. Im at my brothers and this is his computer. So I was kind of in a hurry because I am leaving soon. But, I have done MORE research and finally figured out the problem was the 20 gig. Its a WD, Turns out that the Jumpers were set wrong. I did not know that WD's have to have a slave drive while their set for master. I set them both for CS and it boots fine! Well, I thank all of you. sammorris I am very experienced with computer and this makes me feel like a moron. Ive never seen anything like this thats why I flipped out. Look on google and MANY people experienced have ran into the same problem. Thats WD for you! Lol, Thanks to all and I love your forums for alot of things. 1ceCold

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know all hard drives were like it, not just WDs. (Sorry if the post was patronising by the way, I don't have any prior knowledge of how much you know about PCs)

12. ddp

only wd has that problem which is the main reason i don't like them.

13. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

Yeah DDP, You're correct because ive built computers and never had that problem. Damn WD's. Well, We all learn something everyday. Thanx again

14. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's interesting, I've used WDs for a long time and always liked them, with the exception of the 500GB SE16 drive, which I've had two faulty ones, not dead, but problems (one wouldn't write properly, kept getting delayed write failures, and the other one has bad sectors)

16. 1ceCold

1ceCold Member

I have 6 HD's all hooked up to my computer. Bout to be 7 here soon. Love the SCSI Ultra 320's. :)

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have the need for 7 hard drives on one computer, I surmise that you have more problems than a bad WD drive and your need to bump your post. :(