1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need info about a dvd I purchased from e-bay

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Pony321, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

I won an auction off of e-bay for a dvd entitled MISCHIEF (1985, Kelly Preston). This dvd is an all region dvd. The recorded side of the dvd is a dark violet color pretty much the same color as a Ritek blank and the surface is a silver matt. It appears that a thermal printer was used to print on the top surface. The picture is that of vhs (ep) quality and it appears that the dvd main menu (very basic) was created by some store bought software.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that all factory pressed dvds have a silver recording surface.

I've been searching for the past few hours for a look at an origional Mischief DVD label for comparison.

Is there a dvd database on-line? I've heard of the cddb for audio cds but nothing for dvds. Perhaps this would be another way to check out this dvd.

Thank you

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  3. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Thanks for your reply. I tried your link but without results. When I first viewed this dvd I checked the video bitrate which was 5500 kbs which tells me that the picture should look much better than it was. Besides all of my other 1980s movies look fantastic in comparison to this. I will for sure try for a refund and in the future I'll ask questions before bidding on e-bay for dvds. Oh well...That's e-bay for you. Thank you.

4. Nephilim

No problem :)

You really should report the vendor not only because what he's doing is illeagal but other folks are going to get screwed like you did if he isn't stopped.

5. Pony321

Pony321 Regular member

Well I just made contact with the person on e-bay who sold me the dvd. She does offer a full refund which is good however the catch is I first need to leave her possitive feedback. I asked questions about this dvd to all the people on e-bay who has them up for auction. From what I gathered this title hasn't been released in the United States on dvd however other countries offer it in a non region version. Perhaps this dvd is authentic but I just can't get over the bad video picture. If this was indeed an import then the video standards from other countries aren't quite up to ours. I have to say movies from the 80s factory pressed on silver dvds usually look as if the movie was cast just a few years ago. Well...at least I got to watch the movie. Thanks

6. Nephilim

That's complete and utter bullcrap. What she's doing is still bootlegging so I'd let her know in no uncertain terms that you want your money no strings attatched or you'll be contacting eBay about the matter.

Crap like that is why I don't order a damn thing from eBay.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004