1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need info on firmware and writeing speed-im confused

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by flabob, Nov 5, 2004.

1. flabob

flabob Regular member

i am confused about the firmware and writing speeds,that im tryin to find out about...i hope some one can help :O))

i have a 16x dvd-rom drive
    necdvd+rw nd-1100a (dell puter)
    smasung dvd-rom sd616t

now, when i burn a movie ,i use nero, which says it writes at 2.4x

i use memorex dvd+r discs 4x 4.7gb....

do i need firmware? and where can i go to get it if needed..., cause memorex tells me thatdvd+rw/+r drives installed in H/P and Dell puters, require the firm ware upgrade

now, i went to DVD+RW alliance, and here is what they say
    "Upgrade for:
    - "first generation" 2.4x DVD+RW drives to allow usage of 1-4x DVD+RW media
    - "second generation" 2.4x DVD+R/+RW drives to allow usage of 1-4x and 1-8x DVD+R media and 1-4x DVD+RW media
    - "third generation" 4x DVD+R/+RW drives to allow usage of 1-8x DVD+R media"

can anyone understand this..lol..i sure do hope so,cause i think my brain only has 1.2x writeing speed

thx for any help on this

bob

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Here is the best site I've found for firmware updates both OEM and hacked firmware. You can also try the NEC site.
    Memorex media at this time is considered POOR quality. They are buying it from CMC Mag which produces junk media.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  3. flabob

flabob Regular member

cool..thx Jerry

how do i install the firmware if i can find the right one...and what firmware do i look for...thx again

bob

4. flabob

flabob Regular member

i forgot to ask, what do you reccomend for dvd disc's....something that is good quality, at a reasonable price... thx

bob

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Depending on how the firmware was written, some install right through Windows, others have to be installed from a dos prompt. There is sometimes a read file with the firmware that will give some instructions. A hacked firmware usually has more improvments over OEN versions. The only problem with hacked firmware is that it usually voids any remaining warranty. So those are best installed after the warranty is up. That site I gave you before should have a bunch of info on installation of firmware. Just search for your model and start reading the threads.
    My first choice for blank media is Ritek grade A that I usually buy from this site.
    http://www.meritline.com.
    Good luck.

Jerry

6. flabob

flabob Regular member

thx again Jerry

you been a great help.. :O)....... i also buy discs named "ridata" i am reading that RITEK makes them,..is this true..again thx...im off to search your links

bob

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yes Ridata and Ritek are the same company.

Jerry

8. flabob

flabob Regular member

Hey Jerry

i think i found the right firmware, but i cnat find a way to load it...cant find a tut to understand..thx any way

but i found this dvd identifier..and here is the info on which came back when i put a ridata dvd+rw in to test... http://members.tripod.com/flabob237/index-55.html .... is this a good quality for a dvd+rw

and why would my drive sometimes recognise my disc...and sometime it wont...it's driving me nutz..thx for any info
    bob

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Ricoh is the main company for Ritek and Ridata so you are ok with that. As to why your burner has trouble seeing the media I'm not really sure. It may help to go into your device manager and remove the burner drive, then reboot and let Windows re-install the drive properly. Also while in device manager check your IDE channels are set to DMA not PIO. Hope this helps. This may come up as a double post because the system gave me an error while transmitting this reply.

Jerry

10. flabob

flabob Regular member

thx for the tip Jerry :O)

i ran into this site, and i think it makes sense....it tells you what speed media to use, with the type of burner you have...you might want to look at this...it tells me my nec 1100a..needs a 4x for a +R ...and a
    2.4x for dvd+rw
    thats a new one on me..lol...

i will try your suggestion tomorrow..thx again..abd check this site out...it might be helpful to future questions http://store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/dvd-r-media-4-dvd-burner-recorder.html#10

11. flabob

flabob Regular member

Just wanted you guys to know,that i phoned Dell...they gave me the proper firmware(flash), for my puter..and voila....i can burn on dvd+rw's beautifully....after i installed the flash....i uninstalled my nero..then re-installed it..and i havent had a problem since

what a differance in burning...thx for all the help

bob