1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Info On Wireless Media Streamers

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by chrismgan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chrismgan

chrismgan Member

Hello- Is there anyone using a wireless media streamer to watch movies on their TV. I want to stream avi files directly from my PC to my TV. I have an 802.11G router. Will I need an N router ? Has anyone had good luck with a particular brand of streamer? Are you able to watch a movie without constant rebuffering ? Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind spending the money, but I want something that does the job well. Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

I am a strong supporter of the Tvix:
    http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/HDM6500A.aspx

I have 4 networked through out my house, (I use a wired network), with a media server I built with 4 TB of storage. I have had no problems at all with the players.

But, in all fairness, there is the popcorn hour also.

There are more available, but these are the two most popular I believe.

The Tvix has been around longer and from what I can tell, works a little better. The popcorn hour has some great potential, and cost less. One more thing, the Tvix has a tuner option, so it can be used as a recorder also. You can click on my name and go to my afterdawn page for more info.

3. chrismgan

chrismgan Member

Thanks for your response. But I'm looking for a "wireless" streamer and Tvix and Popcorn Hour aren't wireless.

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

Tvix is wireless or wired. To make it wireless, you connect a USB wireless module

This is the Q&A from the Tvix website on how to use it wireless:
    ftp://ftp.dvico.com/Manual/TViX/wireless_network2.pdf

This is a copy/paste from the link above:

To use the wireless network function, you must upgrade your old firmware version to the latest
    firmware. (TViX 4000/5000/4100/5100, TViX PVR 4010/4030/5010/5030/4110/4130/5110/5130)
    Old firmware versions do not support the wireless network.

Also, if you scroll down (on the link above), under options, it states "HDTV tuner and wireless LAN"

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  5. chrismgan

chrismgan Member

Thanks for the advice. Is there a particular model that you would reccomend ?

Thanks again,

Chris

6. ugc

ugc Regular member

The 6500 is the one I use. Link in above post.

7. jbmcgee

jbmcgee Member

Hi, I'm also looking for an easy-to-use media streamer and was looking into the popcorn hour deal. Does any know how the cheaper Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player stacks up? I primarily want to watch .vob movie files, online vids (hulu,etc) and the ability to record would be nice. Thanks for any info.