1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need more drive slots.

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by emachine, Nov 4, 2006.

1. emachine

emachine Guest

I have an emachine w2686. It has to drive slots for a burner, and a reader. Well in the one it has a card reader for memory sticks. Well I want to keep this, but I have to drives I need to put in. Anything I can do. The whole other front of the case is solid. I really need to keep the card reader so any suggestions?

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well I have an emachine case **cringe**, lol, most of it's internals are long gone :p

Anyway, on mine, you can have 2 dvd drives and then the card reader underneath...

If that's not the same on yours, then you could do some handy work and build an extra shelf on the side of your PC or sumin (it has been done). Or you could get an external drive enclosure and put it in, then you'd have a USB drive and an internal...

3. emachine

emachine Guest

Yeah emachines are ok for the price...

But mine has a card reader ontop and then my dvd burner underneath. Then a floppy but not a full slot underneath. Could I hook the card reader up externally?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well I don't know how to hook one up externally but I spose it could be done.

5. emachine

emachine Guest

Maybe just cut a little hole in the side of the case, and run it up and set it on top?

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lol, yeah that would work, maybe mount a little sumin on the top of your PC to hold the drive in, even a cardboard box lol, and then route the IDE cables etc through a little "letterbox" in the side of the case.

Could work :D

7. emachine

emachine Guest

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lmao, yeah it would... :p

Anyway, about PC...
    It's a ncie PC, no doubting it, but i think you could build one cheaper ;)

But, if you wanted to get it, then it's a top PC.

9. emachine

emachine Guest

I don't think I can build one cheaper than 900.00! With a 5000 x2! And 2g ram and 320 gig hd. The only thing I need to know if I could flash with it and if I can put a second hard drive in it.

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@emachine

If you cant afford a full system build now a simple option would be to buy a new case. Most modern cases have a couple slots for drives and such. If you mobo is microATX your best bet would most likely be to buy a micro case with a mediareader built-in.

11. emachine

emachine Guest

Yeah I thought about that, but I need to buy a sata card, a new hardrive and with a case. Its like a little more for a a whole new pc. So I'll ask my dad hes the one who suggested the new pc.

12. ireland

ireland Active member

if i understand you right,

if ye have a open pci slot ye can add a promise card for sata card,or what ever..

this will add more drive slots..

[​IMG]

PROMISE ULTRA133 TX2 PCI IDE 66M PCI Controller Card - OEM

Features: Dual IDE ports support separate timing and optimum speeds of attached drive(s) or ATAPI device(s) Includes single Ultra ATA 80-wire/40-pin cable; cable required for Ultra ATA/133 drives to reduce signal noise (“crosstalk”) during transfers Bus mastering offloads data I/O handling from host CPU; supports CRC error-checking of UDMA drives Recognizes drive capacities exceeding 137GB

more at newegg
    link
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Suggested&Description=16-102

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  13. emachine

emachine Guest

No you miss understood. I have a connection for it, but I don't have a place to house it. See my Pc has room for one optical drive, and than has another slot but has a card reader in it. So I'm trying to figure out how to keep the card reader and have to drives. I don't really want to put the drive in a caddy because its usb and its soooooo slow. So Anyway to rip my card reader up externally would work.

14. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

emachine- I would think a new Case & or Possibly motherboard would be in order ! Given your desires & current set-up . I have an Emachines Myself Albeit Upgraded - 1 Gb memory , 160Gb HDD + 40GB ,factory HDD + 400GB Usb HDD,, Benq Dw-1655 & NecNd-3500Ag Drives - The Cd burner I pulled long ago ! Was 1st replaced with a NEC -Nd-2500A. When I bought The Nec-3500Ag & BenQ Dw-1655 the 2500A Became an external Drive -Usb ! I use it for making multiple Backups of my movies eg: Making Copies for the family et:al Grandkids Ect ... Using Disc Copy in Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 Platinum under the advanced faetures section! And if I already have the Disc Image /Iso file on my Hdd it makes me 3 copies in the time it would take to make one -So far I've only done this with Ritek Go5's /Maxell 8X dvd-R media and they burn at 4x when I do them simultaneously X 3 but it does work ! Would possibly work faster with a different brand of media But have'nt tried this other than with the Riteks so Far & only with DVD-R media ,Perhaps would work faster with DVD+R too but as mentioned have'nt tried that either ! Well Whatever you decide emachine ? I wish you luck and Sucsess in your Computing endeavors Now and in the future ! Good Luck & Happy Modding !

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  15. emachine

emachine Guest

If I'm going to buy all that mine as well just buy a new pc. lol I mean for a little more I could.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

emachine, what is your system specs??

17. emachine

emachine Guest

embarrassing me like this... LOL

E-machine W2686
    XP
    Amd Athlon 2600+
    80gig Ultra Ata
    Nec Dvd burner
    512 ram
    256 Nivida 5500

18. ddp

just get a new case that has 4 5.25" bays & multiples of 3.5" bays. if doesn't come with a psu than get a 450watt or higher

19. emachine

emachine Guest

Ok case 50
    HD 200
    Sata 20
    time 100

So 370
    And its still this old slugish pc.
    I just need a new pc.

20. ddp

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320Gb - 7200rpm - 16Mb Cache SATA Hard Drive - ST3320620AS (OEM)
    Manufacturer: Seagate Our Price: $117.00CAN.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 400Gb - 7200rpm - 16Mb Cache SATA Hard Drive - ST3400620AS (OEM)
    Manufacturer: Seagate Our Price: $181.00CAN.