1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Opions

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by xEzekialx, Dec 7, 2009.

1. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

Okay i have about $1700 Spend on a desktop with monitor and these part are what I choose to use. But I don't know if this is a good setup or what, so I wanna hear from others and what they think.

CPU - I5 750
    Mother Board - ASUS MAXIMUS III FORMULA
    Case - NZXT Tempest
    Power Supply - Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w
    HDD - Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
    Optical -LG 22x DVD Writer
    Monitor - Samsung 2343BWX
    Memory - CRUCIAL Ballistix PC3-12800 4GB
    Video Card - Ati Sapphire 5850

Updated Specs

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CPU: Fine for CPU-intensive stuff, but if you're a gamer, I'd suggest an i5 over an i7 - much better value, and better overclockers.

Motherboard: Avoid Asus boards, prone to reliability issues. Use either Gigabyte, MSI or Biostar equivalents of the board you need (for example, TPower P55/X58 from Biostar, P55-

UD4/EX58-UD4P from Gigabyte, and the P55GD65 from MSI).
    Case: A minimum budget basic PC case for a $1700 gaming build? I don't think so. Serious cooling problems will result. Spend a little extra and get an NZXT Tempest.
    HDD: Don't buy Seagates at the moment, the 7200.12 series is a liability. Get a WD5001AALS instead.
    ODD: Fine
    Monitor: Fine
    RAM: Get 1600mhz RAM with a high-budget system, there's no reason not to.

3. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

What about a video card?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it fits your budget, maybe something like an HD5850. Depends how much you want to play games though.

5. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

Im play game A decent amount of time. But i think i may only have like 300-400 left to buy a video card.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD5850 is $310 at newegg.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I thought we had a truce? I don't bash WD for being slower, more expensive, anti-raid, and unreliable (or rather, always DOA) to me...and you don't bash Seagate based on their 7200RPM being louder & hotter than a 5400RPM version, and their unreliability to you. Neither of us will win this fight, but we can both loose, so please stop throwing rocks.

xEzekialx - Just for your information, I just bought another one of the seagates that Sam says are so terrible...I have had 3 of them working perfect in RAID5 for over a year, and I had tried to give WD a chance to be the fourth drive in the array (based on Sam's recomendations), but I got three bad drives in a row from WD (I ended up paying more than the price of a 500GB between all the shipping and the restocking fee), so I had to get another Seagate, and it is working perfectly. All of this is based on 1.5TB drives, and I know WD drives of 1TB and under tend to be more reliable than their big drives, but then small seagates are more reliable than big seagates as well. The 7200.12 series has served me well, and I have been using 7200.10, 7200.11, and 7200.12 drives in my storage arrays for a long time, and I have never had one of them fail on me yet. I have found dead seagates (and every other brand) in customer systems...most of them are mounted sideways or verticaly, and they never have any airflow (this goes for all brands, not just Seagate or WD.

8. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

To be honest i trust Seagate more the WD From experiences so ya im gonna be sticking with them.

9. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

These are my New specs That i Decided on. I wanna know what everyone thinks?
    CPU - I5 750
    HDD - SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.12
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6
    Optical - LG 22x DVD Burner
    Keyboard - Razer Lycosa
    PowerSupply - Corsair 750w
    Video Card - BFG Geforce GTX275 oc
    Case - ANTEC Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case
    Memory - Patriot Extreme Pefromance Viper Series 6GB PC3-10666 7-7-7-24

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I don't think you need that much power...but it won't hurt anything to have to much.

If this is the kit you are looking at, it is not ideal:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220367

It is a tripple-channel kit, but your board is just a twin channel.

For about $50 more, you could get 8GB of twin-channel Corsair like the below link...the cas is 8 instead of 7, but it has a faster PC3 speed, so performance should be the same or better. Plus, the quality is much better:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145263

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Killerbug: There's little point making a truce with someone that lies about a product, rather than emphasising problems like I do. Always DOA, come on now. Buy anything but a 7200.12 from Seagate and you'll hear no argument from me (unless you want a quiet system), but the 7200.12s are just a risk not worth taking. Also, you seem to think that the bugs that some of the biggest WD drives are sometimes prone to (not that often, especially in the UK) indications that EVERY WD drive is bad, whereas you'll never hear me go on about anything but the 7200.12s from Seagate. You refute ALL WD drives, and ALL Samsungs, I've not seen any evidence of you liking Hitachis either, unlike someone who wants to steer people away from potentially risky products, you are in fact, just a Seagate fanboy. HDD fanboys, dear god, what has the world come to? In b4 rebuttal, I'm not a WD fanboy, because I still have Samsung and Seagate drives active in my system right now, which I paid for.

Ezekial: Again, apart from the HDD and the RAM the list looks alrightr, but a GTX275? You're paying almost HD5850 money for something barely 2/3 as fast. Drop from the unnecessary P55-UD6 to the UD5 or UD4 and get an HD5850 with what you save, you'll be much better off. The Antec 900 is also way inferior to the NZXT Tempest. The 900 Two is a better buy, but more expensive. I also stand by what I said about 1600mhz memory. Latency really isn't that important for Intel systems.

12. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

Problem is with buying that case is, i cant find it anywhere.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, which country do you live in?

14. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

Edmonton, Alberta

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I tried to run WD in my system...three times in a row. None of them worked correctly. One did not start at all, the other two randomly dropped out, as if they were in removed using hotswap...even after using the tool that is meant to fix this, and even when tried them with a variety of controllers, most non-RAID. I do like Hitachi, but I like their 2.5" drives more than I like their slower 3.5" drives. Of course, I would love to have a few of their 15K drives! At the moment, my main system has 2 Hitachi drives, and I have one of their 500GB drives in my PS3. I am not a seagate fanboy...it is just that I never have issues with their drives (other than noise and heat, and I can deal with those). The last WD drives I used that lasted long enough to become obsolite were 40GB SATA150 units...based purly on my own experiences, this puts WD ahead of samsung (rarely last a year, assuming not DOA), and behind everyone else.

I know I am noy lieing about the reliability of the Seagates, nor about the unreliability of the WDs. If the same is true for you, I can only assume that it is somehow related to shipping...WD drives must be getting damaged durring shipment to US sellers, and Seagates must get damaged durring shipment to European sellers...or maybe it is all just incredible coincidence.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Shipping damage wouldn't explain a controller failure that suddenly makes the drive think it's zero bytes big...

18. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

Hey does anyone know witch is better?

Asus Maximus III
    or

eVGA P55 FTW

I heard good things about the Maximus but never heard about the eVGA one? So what you guys think?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Preferably neither, but if you must, probably the EVGA. I'm no fan of Asus or EVGA for quality (Asus for quality of manufacture, EVGA for quality of design). MSI, Biostar and Gigabyte are generally the three brands I tell people to stick to.

20. xEzekialx

xEzekialx Member

TO be honest i can't seem to find a decent from msi or gigabyte.