need PVR help..........HELP

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wlkofdoom, Nov 9, 2008.

1. wlkofdoom

wlkofdoom Member

ok i dont know if this is the right place but i was told not to post in the pvr part cause i am using a computer
    So i have a dch3416 pvr and i want to compy my shows off it and on to my computer but i dont know how can some one help or tell me where i could go for help

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you read the manual that came with your PVR? Or gone to the help files?

3. wlkofdoom

wlkofdoom Member

manual whats that :)
    but yea you are not alowed to copy the shows off the pvr (where i live any way) so comcast is not going to tell me how to do it

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

I don't know anything about a Comcast PVR. I have a Dishnetwork HD VIP 722 DVR that can be connected via a USB port to an external harddrive (after paying an activation fee). The DVR will format your drive erasing everthing currently on the external drive. You can then transfer content back and forth between DVR and external drive. If you connect the drive to your PC your PC won't read it. Why? Your drive has been formatted to the Linux kernel and EXT 3 file system for Linux. So either load Linux on your machine or record directly from satellite to standalone DVD recorder without saving to DVR first (which is allowed). I just bought a 500 gig external harddrive specifically for my Dishnetwork system. That's way more storage than I'll ever need (about 300 hours of HD content or about 2000 hours SD). I removed Linux from my PC. I'm good. I'm guessing Comcast does something similar.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. ugc

ugc Regular member

6. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Thanks for the info ugc. The HDFury looks pretty darn cool. But holy moly, $339.00? That's roughly four 500 gig external harddrives.