1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need serious help on backing up pc games!!!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by djxkape, Oct 23, 2005.

1. djxkape

djxkape Member

i been readin alot of forums and discussion on how to make a working back up , but for some reason i been unable to come up with a working copy . i have a120 ,alcoholer and clonyxxl and i been trying forever to make one work with no luck . so if anyone can help me with this problem i would really appriciated !!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Try dvd decrypter ISO read to hard drive/ISO write/locate your mds files/open/OK and click burn icon.

That's a very good free program when it comes to backing up dvd games and dvd-5 movies that don't need compressed.

3. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@ djxkape hi :)
    only one small point to add, in my personal experience the slower you burn games the better your chances 2.4x max

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

djxkape

What game title are you trying to back up? What platform is it - XBox, PS2 or PC?

5. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi neph :)
    pleased to see you back

6. Nephilim

And a good day to you Geoff :)

7. djxkape

djxkape Member

i been trying to back up call of duty pc game , and i do have dvd decrypter and i still cant get it to work , i even try to burn at slow speed, so i dont know what i'm doing wrong , i can play online but cant play single player.

8. KEVCELT

KEVCELT Regular member

is the media dvd that u are using good quality ? i found it makes a massive diffrence as i tried 2 burn a game with cheap dvd r- and the game kept stickin, then today i bought tdk dvd r- and the game is now perfect.

9. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

HI :)as KEVCELT has said
    yes only the best media will do
    well said KEV :)
    both saugmon and myself (i hope the green fella dosn't mind my answering for him) did the unforgiveable, by assumeing that only the best was being used

10. djxkape

djxkape Member

well i have a xps dell pc so im guessing it does have the best . i have a hl-dl-st cd-rw gce-8483b and philips dvd+-rw dvd8631 and i also have an usb lite-on ltr-52327.

11. Nephilim

Call Of Duty uses a PC game protection called SafeDisc (version 2.9 to be exact) so DVD Decrypter is going to be useless for it.

The two best apps available for backing up PC games are BlindWrite or Alcohol 120%. The unfortunate news is that neither are free but they both have fully functional trial versions.

Another consideration is that, unlike backing up DVDs where the protection is stripped away, PC game protections need to be read then written back to disc. Because the protections are so intricate and hard to dulplicate they must be read slowly then written back slowly by a burner that's able to correctly write them back (only a handful of burners are able to do this).

If you feel up to the task I can lead you through the steps and settings (each protection and version thereof requires slighty altered settings for success). The first bit of information I need to know is the exact make and model burner(s) you have available.

12. djxkape

djxkape Member

yeah im up for the task, i have PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
    HL-DT-ST CR-RW GCE8483B
    LITE-ON LTR-52327S USB

13. Nephilim

I'm sooooo sorry for taking so long to respond! Ok your LITE-ON LTR-52327S USB is one of the best drives available for backing up PC games so you're in great shape to start backing up your games.

As I said before both Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite5 are the two best apps as far as I'm concerned. CloneCD has its fans but I've had all sorts of problems with the protections detecting it and refusing to run the game until Clone is uninstalled.

If you're still needing help then I promise to respond in a timely manner. Let me know which app you want to use and I can lead you from there :)

14. djxkape

djxkape Member

hey is ok no need to be sorry , but yeah i already have alcohol 120 , i might be doing something wrong so yeah i would apprciate if u could walk me throu the process step by step . i really appreciate all the help.

15. baddog

baddog Guest

I have the game already ripped into an ISO file. The problem that I get is that the game will install, burned to DVD, but I get the message to please insert (Brand X) DVD, select ok then restart. What can I do to bypass this to play the game?

16. Nephilim

djxkape

Ok, I haven't had A120 installed in a long time so I'm trying to do this from (admittedly terrible) memory. Click the Copy Wizard icon on the left side of the window and take a look at the new screen. The most important settings you need are to select the "SafeDisc 2/3" profile or datatype (towards the bottom of the screen I believe) then be sure to set both the read and write speeds to 4X.

Have a go at these settings and if they don't work then I'll get geestar20 over here since he's much more well versed in A120 than I am. I'm a BlindWrite guy so if A120 doesn't do the trick we can try BW5 ;)

baddog

What software did you use to make the ISO?

17. djxkape

djxkape Member

nope that didnt work either , i keep getting and error message saying cod will shut down because it encounter a problem.

18. Nephilim

This is with your LiteOn 52327, 4X read and write and the SafeDisc 2/3 profile, yes?

If you have virtual drives enabled through A120 then disable them and try the copy again.

19. baddog

baddog Guest

I downloaded the file. I have used DVD Decrypter and Nero to burn to DVD and I still receive the message to install dvd.

20. baddog

baddog Guest

I have alcohol, but unfortunately I do not have the original DVD.