1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some advice on purchasing cd-rs

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Bliz, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Bliz

Bliz Guest

i've burn hundreds, if not thousands, of memorex black cdrs. memorex (only the black ones) has been the brand i've been using for a while, and have very little problem with them. but, as some of u have pointed out in other threads, they dun make their own discs, and since cmc is one of the manufacturers they use, it's quite risky. besides, memorex blacks aren't cheap. so i was thinking if switching to another brand may be a good idea. i'm looking for a quality brand that makes their own discs, or ONLY use good manufacturers. that way, i dun have to worry bout taking any risk. in other words, i'm asking, what r the brands they r risk-free?

my burner is a TDK veloCD 8/4/32. i've been using that for 2 years now, and it's still burning great. below r the stores that r near where i live, and i plan on getting cds from them:
    future shop
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&WLBS=fs-web4&catid=12500
    staples
    http://www.staples.ca/products/cata...3&class_id=60202&class_name=CDR+&+CD-RW+Media

correct me if i m wrong to make the following early decisions:
    for future shop, i've already ruled out the very cheap ones, like cicero and cursor. sony is ruled out due to their mediocre reputation in cdr. memorex and verbatim r ruled out cuz they r risky. that leaves me with only a few, like mitsumi, which i think most of u will recommend. but i still wanna ask u all cuz i can't be sure if they make their own discs. gigastorage, they r pretty cheap, and i've also heard some good things bout them. but cheap and good... is that really the case with giga? also, what is mso? good/bad, or is it jus some misc. initials and not a manufacturer really?

for staples, i've ruled out imation, cuz as far as i know, they ain't good. maxell, i'm not too sure bout. i think they make their own discs, but ain't that good i heard. pine is out, cuz that's a super cheap brand. sony and verbatim r out. and ibm... anyone has any idea on that? i've also heard some bad things bout fujifilm. and if i'm not wrong, the store in my area carries some gold discs, kodak ones i think. but as good as they r, they r expensive, so i guess i prolly won't get those. as u can c, staples dun offer as much as futureshop, but still an option

anyway, i thank u in advance for your time and your replies ;)

2. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

The latest Maxells are either Taiyo Yuden or more commonly Ritek. I've never had problems with either manufacturer. Fujifilm stuff AFAIK are Taiyo Yuden too.

I've heard good things about Verbatim DataLifePlus. If you still see Kodak stuff then grab them as they are no longer being manufactured.

You might want to consider a "newer" burner not for the speed, but because of good buffer underrun protection and the LiteON or rebranded models have "SmartBURN".

SmartBURN can detect the type of media and adjust the laser calibration as well as the optimum burn speed. I've never had any problems with my TDK 24/10/40B [LiteON rebadged] or my LiteON 52/24/52 burning ANY media. [except for the 24x Plasmon CDRW].

Believe it or not, I've had excellent results with recent [24x] CMC media and the 52x too.

If you live in Toronto then I can recommend a whole slew of stores. Otherwise you can check out www.redflagdeals.net

3. Bliz

Bliz Guest

ok thx. i know taiyo yuden is great, and one of the best out there, but the fact that it uses cyanine dye jus makes me wanna stay away from that. cuz even though no one can proof a cd's lifespan, the uv protection can be tested, and cyanine dye is suppose to have the worst protection. so i guess i'm still more for phthalocyanine dye, like what mitsui, ricoh and kodak uses.

and for some reason i mistaken mitsumi for mitsui, and that's why i said most of u will prolly recommend mitsumi, cuz i know most like mitsui. my mistake really. but still, now that we have mitsumi instead of mitsui, how's mitsumi? i dunno anything bout them at all

and sorry, i live in winnipeg. thx for the offer to recommend though. actually, they have future shop and staples/business depot out there right? do u get any cds from those stores? if so, i dun mind hearing what u would recommend from them

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2002
  4. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

I don't buy a lot of media from either Futureshop or Staples. Compusmart actually DID have a great sale on HP 16x 700mb 50pc spindles awhile ago. $25 for Taiyo Yuden stuff that burns well at 40x.

The ATIP was the exact same as my one and only Maxell 24x spindle. I haven't seen many other TY Maxell spindles, mostly Ritek.

I usually buy my media from a non-chain computer store. There's so many of them around here. Toronto is one of the computer capitals in Canada.

I wish I could help you find a store, but you can post that question on www.redflagdeals.net in the forums as there are members all across Canada.

Good Luck.

5. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

6. x3m

x3m Guest

Bliz, can you tell me which store carries the Kodak Gold CDRs in Toronto. I am looking for them all over the place and I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks

7. Bliz

Bliz Guest

no, i m from winnipeg as i said in a previous post. it's a shame that kodak stopped making those. i guess gold jus costs too much for them to manufacture and remain competitive

8. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

x3m,

Right now it's next to impossible to find Kodak Golds in Toronto. Gold/Silver's are more common but as you've found out already, they haven't been produced for some time now.

Places that might still carry Kodaks:
    www.canadacomputers.com
    Compucentre and Radio Shack MIGHT.
    I think Staples might still have some left online.

9. x3m

x3m Guest

Racemann, I will check them out...

Thanks for info.