1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some data recovery help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by danman91, Aug 9, 2007.

1. danman91

danman91 Member

I am looking to recover some pictures from a crashed 80gb western digital sata drive. I have tried everything and it doesnt seem to work, the bios will recognize it and it spins up and everything but when i try to run off that hard drive it either says there is no boot device or that the drive failed. what happened to it? is there any way i can fix it??

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Did you try contacting customer service. If the HDD has completely failed then I don't think there is any cheap way of recovering the data. I lost about 5 years worth of vacation pics this way.

3. jtsmith

jtsmith Member

If it still detects in the bios that's a good sign. If it's making any clicking noises that's a bad sign. You could try running some software on it to see what you can recover. From what you've described your drive may just developed a ton of bad sectors (ie. mbr gone). Software might do the trick. However if that does get you anywhere you can try a data recovery place. Most offer a free diagnostic. Good luck.
    JT

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

danman, what happens when not booted as primary drive but secondary drive, can you see the info then?

5. danman91

danman91 Member

When i boot it as a secondary i can get into windows but when i am in windows there is no hard drive to be found, i have tried windows programs to try and recover it but they cant seem to find it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless some data recovery software can get to the drive, you'll have to stomach the loss.

7. danman91

danman91 Member

:( damn, ok, thanks for all of your help guys, if you have any more suggestions i'd still be happy to hear em.

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

9. danman91

danman91 Member