1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some DVD burner help please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by star223, Oct 2, 2004.

1. star223

star223 Member

Hi all, i'm new here. I've just bought a GSA- 4120B External burner. I've downloaded the firmware, it's fully installed but it still doesn't work. It didn't come with software, but i've been using the nero express for our CD burner. Can u tell me if it's the right software for the burner if not can you tell me where to get it?
    Thanks Heaps

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Hi star223 welcome to AfterDawn I'm fairly new here myself; There's lots of knowledge-able folk in here, and they are more than willing to help. I suspect however, they'll need more info from you. Like what are you trying to burn, your pc spec's, what media you're using?

3. star223

star223 Member

Trying to burn Dvd's, Using windows media player and the pc spec's got no idea. Sorry, like i said i'm only learning.

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

No problems forget Windows Media Player! Go to downloads, and download DVD Shrink, and DVD decrypter.
    Then look for all the Scuba Pete's guides yer can find for a couple of days/weeks.

If that don't work... yer gotta appeal to the man hiself.

PS: don't forget what media.. that's important.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]give instuction to a wise man. Then he will become wiser, give instruction to a fool. Then he will become wiser. It's all about time.. [thet slanty-eyed bloke I used to read][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004
  5. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

star223--
    Go to the top of the page and you will see tabs of different items--click on the one that says software--then download DVD Decryptor (free) and DVD Shrink (also free)--after that go to the tab that says guides--follow the instuctions for using shrink and devryptor--you will be burning DVD's in no time--I recommened using DVD-RW disks at first, so you don't waste any disks while you are learning (I learned the hard way!hehe)--Lots of people here to help after you do a little work yourself--good luck--let us know how you are making out--

Roger (Whitfield)

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

astar 223--
    I was wrong about the guides--after you have Decryptor and Shrink downloaded, just look through a few of the discussion threads here for DVD for newbies and scubaPete has given complete easy to follow guides for these 2 programs--you will be burning in no time--

7. star223

star223 Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanks guys so much, you were right. Burning in no time. But does it normally take that long to do one disk. It took 5 hrs, what's going on there?
    Any ideas, but it worked that's the main thing.

8. Gringle

Gringle Guest

That does seem a tad excessive, Again folk need details of machine HD, Ram, progams etc, have you de-fragged your PClately?

9. star223

star223 Member

Can you tell me the difference between the - & + DVD disks to burn on. Which one is the better one to use?
    How long should it normally take to burn the disk?

10. Gringle

Gringle Guest

How long to burn should depend on what media you're using and what speed I use Ritek G04 they'll burn a dvd in under 20mins @4x
    I think if you've been using Windows media player a lot your hard drive may need a de-frag go into accessories, click on system tools, and choose the de-frag option, if you need it your pc will tell you. (it may take some time) so don't worry.

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

5 hours with an external burner? First thing pops in my head is are we using USB connection and are we sure it's 2.0?

Your computer specs will help decide if your times are "normal" as well. You can find them (in XP) by clicking start- control panel-system.

12. star223

star223 Member

Hi guys, thanks for all your help. I'm running Windows ME and the burner is connected with USB. We had a black out last night so i couldn't defrag, but that's the first thing i'll do.

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You need to ensure that your drive is connected to a USB2.0 port.

USB 1.1 is too slow to run a DVD burner properly if at all.

Here's a link that'll show you how to check whether you have USB 2.0 support:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000602.htm