1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help please...

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Tiesto, Jul 30, 2003.

1. lamp23

lamp23 Guest

The xbox has variable ip addresses. U need port forwarding which can probably be easiestly done by symantec home network. Free to try. BETTER than ics. Router's make thigs much easier but I was able to set this up. Just took me as long as it's taking u. Home networking is at a very user-unfriendly state. The people who make it so hard really suck.

2. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Well I started again from scratch with a new boot CD using a combination of the ini files set to me.

Still can't ping or ftp to the XBOX.

I am starting to wonder if I damaged the XBOX when installing the chip!

How much easier is this with a Router?

I am tempted to go and just buy one but I am worried that if my XBOX is damaged I am just wasting my money.

lamp, can you go into a bit more detail about what you did to solve the problem?

mponcio, did you managed to connect in the end?

3. ozy

ozy Regular member

Tiesto, I think I may have jumped the gun there because you can't update the bios using this method until you have networked your xbox with PC. Sorry for the confusement! Honesty think you may need a hub or a seperate network card alltogether to accomplish the FTP.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2003
  4. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

you dont need a seperate NIC, i use only the one NIC but change the IP addresses in network settings.

I DO use a HUB though. Easy to setup, give it a go mate, if you get one from pcworld you can take it back if it works i think.

5. heavy

heavy Guest

ok. i know this sounds lame and you've probably already checked it (Seeing as how you've tried everything else.) but are you sure your crossover cable is good? i mean did you buy the cable? or did you make it yourself. lots of times even store bought cables wont have a solid connection on some of the pairs and if you made it yourself its even more touchy. check and look on the rj-45 connection and see what the color pattern is. perhaps it has been crimped wrong. here is a site that might help. (as far as cables go.) http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2003
  6. lamp23

lamp23 Guest

Okay change your xbox ip so that it's your computers with a 100 on the end instead of the 1. Just add "00" at the end. This is what mine is 192.168.0.100
    I'm pretty sure you need your internet running but I wouldn't be sure as I am always on with cable.
    I used a 2 NIC setup but if you have a usb-input that's your first nic right there so it's still the same as mine. Actually I'm not using a router for my xbox directly. I have 2 computers sharing the internet through the router and then have a 2 nic setup on the 2nd computer where I run a crossover from the pc to the xbox. The router is interacting with my xbox only by teh setup wizrd that comes by typping my ip address into internet explorer. I only use all this for XBOXConeect (for Halo online. It has what's called: Virtual Server is used to allow Internet users access to LAN services. So a Virtual Server in a router setup will set you up nice and easily. This is what it says under protocol (both tcp and udp ports are forwarded): IP (0) 8602/8602. Another thing I remeber is to "make sure to clone the mac address". I don't completely underrstand mac addresses just that it somehow coincides the time of the networked computers.
    You're going to need to run the network wizard quite a few times but again ics is a pain in the ass and I can never figure out where I need to go to change its settings. Try out SYGATE NOT SYMANTEC (I gave you the wrong "sy" word) home networking. Winroute is also good. Try out their trial versions. At least it will get you started and is much easier.

To tell you the truth, I don't even know what Evox or IGR are but I really don't think those type of things are your problem in a networking problem. Ironically on the xbox live setup it actually strongly encourages you to only use a router for their ease, while it should actually be doing what it claims giving help to people so tehy can set up xbox live.

Ask if you need additional info.
    P.S. Don't put 1st "idiot" question. The slack-off jerk-off inventors of windows networking and the help associated with it are the only idiots in this complicated confusing mess where if you check out M$'s site trying to pitch home networking they show Grandma and her 7-year old grandson easily going through the motions of the network wizrd. Ridiculously ironic.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2003
  7. lamp23

lamp23 Guest

Oh I also really doubt that this is a problem with your xbox/bios/anything that you think it might be other than a network problem (pain in the ass that might be).
    Also u can pick up a sweet router for only $30-40 now.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ls.asp?EdpNo=328846&Sku=D700-2050 P&CatId=198

That's what I ended up buying for $10 more at best buy and this site is actually a better valued store, they just didn't have it at the moment. I had actually only bought a router since I didn't want to have to have one computer on whenever I wanted the other one on. I wish I would have just bought it before all the pain and suffering of setting up a network to actually work the way you want it to in a 2-NIC setup.

8. ozy

ozy Regular member

Tiesto, how did you go with the ini files? anyluck!

9. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

thanks for that URL lamp.
    I might just have to get me one of those!
    I currently have a 4 port HUB but that does not share the internet connection to my 2 pc's and my xbox for xbox live.

10. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Nope, no luck yet.

Although after seeing all the different ini files sent to me (thank you people) I am now convinced that it is either a network problem or a problem with my xbox itself. The ini files all look the same or similar to mine.

My friend at work got it working with his XBOX with the same BIOS as I am using (executer2) so I am going to get him to take my XBOX and just place it in his network setup and see if he can connect. Hopefully this will work and therefore rule out a problem with the box itself.

As for the crossover cable, I am using a normal cable with an adaptor on one end so I cant check the allignment of the wires at each end. I think it is ok as I stole it from work where it was being used (lol). Also if I remove the adaptor I get No Link on the dashboard, whereas with the adaptor I get FULL DUPLEX.

I am currently in a private discussion with someone about how to use the Network Wizard with XP to set it up. No luck so far, but if I get it working I'll post detailed steps on how I did it. Its gotta be usefull for someone else in the future.

There is no way I am giving up. I have spent too much on the chip and the replacement hard drive I have bought.

Any other ideas, please post them here.

I'm sure this thread with be very usefull to others as well.

If my friend gets it working with his network I think I will just but the router etc that he uses. Although it would be nice to know what I am doing wrong I have had enough now and just want it working.

Keep those ideas coming.

Thanks again.

11. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

suggestion, get rid of that cable and get a cross-over. can pick one up from pcworld....a blue belkin cross-over cable for £10 i think. what i use and i get good use out of it!
    Best cable ive ever used.

12. enyce41

enyce41 Member

Can someone please send me a hacked BIOS to run xecuter 2.2 lite. Pleaseeeee !!!!

[bold]enyce41@cox.net[/bold]

13. lamp23

lamp23 Guest

You do know it HAS to be a crossover right? I'm a little confused as to what type you have. As long as it's crossover an not patch (used for router to pc not pc to pc) it will work.
    Why don't you try that sygate home networking. It worked for me.

14. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

It is a patch cable with an adaptor at one end to convert it to a Cross-over cable.

I think it good.

My friend now has the box to try it as a replacement for his box in his working network. Hoping this works and therefore ruling out a problem with the box itself.

15. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Before I handed the XBOX over to my friend I tried another X-over cable which I tested before I used it.

Still no luck 8(

I just noticed when I type ipconfig /all on the command line, under Windows IP Configuration it says IP ROUTING is disabled.

Anyone know anything about this and whether this could be my problem?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  16. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

could be ur prob m8.
    dunno, sounds like it but might not be.
    if it doesnt work on ur m8s, then doesnt sound good!
    i reckon its ur chip

17. INewton

INewton Member

Tiesto, please update us on your progress.

thanks

18. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

Got another plan.

The infrastructure guys here at work have given me some normal patch cables and a hub.

I am gonna try connecting to the XBOX from the NIC card via the hub.

Not sure if it will make any difference but this is the last check before I hand over the XBOX to my friend tomorrow. He will then have it all weekend trying to get it to work with his Router setup that he uses with his XBOX. He claims this will work first time like it did with his. In which case I will buy a router.

Fingers crossed people.

I'll let you know how I get on with the hub later.

Peace!

19. lamp23

lamp23 Guest

The hub should also work just fine as long as you know how to configure it for virtual servers. Ask your friend exactly how to use virtual servers if your hub doesn't have them.
    On your first post I was convinced it was a network problem similar to mine. You really should check out Sygate Home Networking. A simple automatic program designed for stuff like this.

20. Tiesto

Tiesto Member

OK lamp. I have installed Sygate Home Network but am having no luck.

How did you manage to set it up?

Did you use a boot disk where STATIC IP = NO and use the DHCP provided by the software or did you use a static IP?

There are no options to search for clients and and when I configure the software to use DHCP the XBOX wont pick up the IP address.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003