1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help using my Card reader please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bid_dj, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

remove that from device manager, leave card reader plugged in & either click refresh(if is there in xp) or restart windows to let it load own driver

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I'm sorry, I should of spelled it out better. Since you have 8 USB ports, double clicking on the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" you should see several lines, one should say something like "USB2 Enhanced Host controller." Also there should be 8 separate USB Root Hubs or USB???

3. bid_dj

bid_dj Guest

ddb it didnt work and scubabud u r correct so what do i have to do

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I am asking if they are all there, but the most important one is the USB2 Enhanced Host controller. I just wanted to make sure your board was configured properly, and if it is, you should see "8" of (USB Root Hub) if nothing is plugging into your USB's or the balance of the 8 if something is. Does it show the USB2 Enhanced? If it does then your board "IS" configured properly and it is not the problem.

5. bid_dj

bid_dj Guest

ya its all there

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Make it easy on yourself now. Have/get another known working "USB 2.0 device" and plug into your Desktop to see if it is recognized. We know that the card reader is seen by the Laptop and not the Desktop. How about another device? See where I'm going. It has to be a USB 2.0 device, not a USB 1.1. If that device works, "USB2 in your Desktop", then you know what the verdict is with the card reader. If it doesn't, then a MB driver might of been left out during your build or just a bad board. I'm sure you also tried the card reader by itself without any other devices plugged into your USB ports, like an extra hub or printer that might by some strange reason cause a conflict.

Your Device Manager shows this as done but...
    More items found on Intel site:

Enabling Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    Windows* XP Service Pack 1 must be installed to support Hi-Speed USB 2.0. Windows XP Service Pack 1 is available from Microsoft's support web site at: http://support.microsoft.com?. Hi-Speed USB 2.0 must be manually enabled on Windows XP systems that have been upgraded to Service Pack 1.

To manually enable Hi-Speed USB 2.0 once Service Pack 1 has been installed, complete the following steps:
    Open the Device Manager for Windows XP
    In the Other devices list, double-click the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    Select the Driver tab at the top of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller Properties window
    Click on the button labeled Update Driver
    Click on the Next button
    Click on the Finish button
    Click on the Close button
    Hi-Speed USB 2.0 should now be enabled. Close the Device Manager and continue to install the necessary drivers using the IntelĀ® Express Installer CD.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  7. bid_dj

bid_dj Guest

Yes i tried a IR reciver (to connect my watch) a printer scanner Camcorder and digital camera all workd fine

8. hogan

hogan Regular member

I found this on the sandisk Q&A page for people having trouble with USB2.0. Hope this helps.

Answer
    Cause:

SP1 for XP makes changes to the way your PC sees USB devices on boot.

Solution:

Boot into the Bios. If you do not know how to do this please contact your PC manufacturer for assistance.
    In the Bios, disable "legacy USB support"
    Save
    Reboot your PC
    You will now be able to boot with the reader connected