1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some help with .avi files. REWARD!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ecatmull, Apr 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecatmull

ecatmull Guest

Ok, I downloaded a movie( Blow) and I want to really play this son of a bitch. heres the thing, I cant find a decent .avi player. it doesnt even have to be a player, it can be an addon, anything to MAKE windows media player 6.4 play this avi movie. I will reward you for your help with the movie.... if you have mIRC. the reward comes only if I can get the movie to play well, you can email me at: ecatmull@mail.com OR you can post here, doesnt really matter. Thanks for your help.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

It's very likely that you don't have the correct CODEC installed on your computer. Since .avi isn't actually any video format, just a format how to store the file (not to encode it).

It's very likely that the movie is encoded with either DivX ;-) or 3ivX codecs, both you can find from this site. The links:

DivX ;-) codec for Windows
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm?id=186

3ivX codec for Windows
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm?id=320

...if these don't work, then the file is encoded with some other codec -- although I _hate_ MS Media Player 7 and I prefer using 6.x instead, MP7 has this very valuable option; if your computer doesn't have the codec installed it needs for playing the file, it tries to search it from the net.

MP7 you can download from this link:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm?id=206

3. rnaplus

rnaplus Guest

I want to suggest that you use Global DIVX Player to play all your movies. It's been tested to play all frames perfectly while using less CPU than Media Player! It also automatically installs the DIVX codec. You can go to http://www.gdivx.com to get the player. Enjoy!

4. chrispalm

chrispalm Guest

dRD, you are a star! - your advice worked a charm. Also, the DIVX player Rnaplus recommended is fantastic. Cheers!

BTW, ecatmull, did it work for you?

5. Livience

Livience Member

Help! I tried to download Global DivX Player (I had to, after all the glowing reviews I heard about it), but when I try to run it, I get an error message that says "This Program Requires Normal Sized Screen Fonts to Operate. Please switch to Normal Font Sizes and run this Program again." What the heck? I am so computer illiterate; please help.

6. dRD

Livience: Doesn't really belong to this thread, but anyway. Click right mousebutton on your desktop (the area where no windows are open) and select Properties. Go through the selections, they wary from graphics card to graphics card, but on my system I go to Settings tab and click Advanced and select tab General where I see my font settings for Windows.

7. Livience

Livience Member

Thanks, drD! Global DivX is working for me, now! But the problem is that, when I try to play .avi files, I get perfect audio with no video! I've downloaded several files, and all of them have the same problem. I tried it in Windows Media Player, but it won't work there, either. I downloaded the codecs you recommended to ecatmull, but it didn't fix it. What do you suggest for that problem?

By the way, thanks bunches and bunches for helping the newest of the newbies and being so nice. I know this probably doesn't belong in this thread, either, but I am just so NEW! This is such a great site!!

8. dRD

I hate to suggest this (I hate bundles..), but go to Digital-Digest and download package called Nimo Codec Pack (or something like that). It should install all the required video codecs you need.

9. Livience

Livience Member

dRD, you tha MAN!! It's working perfectly! Thanks so much!!

10. dRD

np.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.