1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help with Nero please

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Yesfan70, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Yesfan70

Yesfan70 Member

Hi all,

I was wondering when using Nero, how do you set the write speed? I can see where to set the read speed, but the write speed columns are grayed out? All I have on mine is "maximum" and 18x. I have been reading around and I'm assuming it is better to stay at 4x-8x when burning on 8x-16x blanks. Does "maximum" mean as fast as I can go, or just the maximum safe speed for a blank (ex: 4x for 4x, 8x for 8x, 16 for 16, etc...).

I have a Sony DRU-830A internal burner, use Taiyo-Yuden blanks, and use Nero 7. Thanks everyone

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Which nero utility are you using and what window are you referring to?

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

There are several programs within Nero and the burn speed is selected seperately on each, as requested which app of Nero are you referring to.

Maximum is the max speed of your chosen disc however it is NOT recommenede to burn at MAX speed.

4. Yesfan70

Yesfan70 Member

If I remember correctly I think it was Nero Vision Essentials. I (after so many failed attempts to install DVD Shrink) used Nero ReCode to compress a movie to make it fit on a single layer DVD-R. I think I might have figured out how to edit things out (extra tracks, special features, etc.) so the movie isn't compressed too bad, but I can't figure out how to set the write speed. When I select "Copy DVD" (I pick from a folder what I want burned) from the SmartStart menu, it has a drop down box that goes from max, 18x, 2.4x, 2x, 2x, 1x. I see no setting for 4x or 8x.

When I go into Extras> Nero Tool Kit> Nero InfoTool, I can see under the "drive" tab in that window where the read and write speeds are set at 40x. In that window it seems you can select 4x, 8x, 9x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x for the read speed and 4,8,16,24,32,40x for the write speed but it never seems to change. When I exit all the way out, I'll go back to it to see if the settings changed, but they are still at 40x.

I like Nero, but there's too much of it, if that makes sense. There so many ways to copy a DVD, that I don't get used to it as fast as I have other programs. I have burned 3-4 DVDs and I'm sure each time I went a different way of doing it.

I see where I can upgrade to the Premium package. I think it's going to be a while before I upgrade to that.

5. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I am using Nero Recode as an example. The discs I am using are Verbatim 16X, just before I click burn I can select the following burn speeds for these particular discs.

16X, 12X, 8X, 6X, and 4X.

If you are using Nero Recode you should NOT be given the 40X choice nor more than the maximum speed rating of your discs.

Reading speed is completely different.

There are, as you know many different programs in Nero and each has a different use. I ALWAYS use NeroVision to burn any AVI/MPEG files..Recode to copy Movies.

This function has NO control over the burn speed.

6. Yesfan70

Yesfan70 Member

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot and post back my findings. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You also need to have the blank in the drive before setting the burn speed, as Gwen instructed you, so Nero will know what speeds are available.

And Yesfan don't burn so "Close to the Edge"

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007