1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some input and suggestions about building a pc

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ilovetoot, Dec 28, 2009.

1. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

ok thanks you've been really helpful! :D

2. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Nvidia is always more expensive. Its like a Toyota or a Lexus, you can get a Toyota that does the same thing as the Lexus for a $1,000s of dollars cheaper.

As for Hard drives, yes you can add more but the 1 TB WD Caviar Black is one of the fastest 7200 RPM drives on the market, and will offer up much better performance then using external hard drives over USB.

If you actually pay attention to what I said..I clearly stated there would be a difference, but in the end, he wants to be able to game, and the 4890 does pretty sufficient in those programs, I know because I know people that use them, and I use them a tiny bit myself.

3. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

oh so 7200rpm 1tb is faster than 7200rpm 500gb? isnt the 7200 the speed? lol i got confused..

as of now i'm thinking of going with your suggestion of going with the radeon 5770, i think it's gonna be able to keep up with my work..

and question, how do i add a firewire to this setup? thanks!

4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1015.html?prod[2367]=on&prod[2365]=on&prod[2366]=on

Not all 7200RPMs are created the same. It even compares nicely to the WD V Raptors.It doesnt beat it by any means, but it does perform nicely.

On the video card, well before I make a final input on what you should be getting, are you doing these things on a professional level? In such a case the workstation card would probably be better. However if you do these things stickly on a hobby base, I know plenty of people who model using 3ds,sketch up,and zmodeler2 on your gaming gpus like a 4890 or lower. Its almost all low polygon(less then 5,000 polygons) models but they have no problems making there models on Quad Cores w/ gaming cards, and let me tell you the 860 is an awesome chip. I jumped from a Q6600 to a 860 and its obviously the superior chip in every way. I think with the 860 on board you should have enough power to compensate for the lack of a workstation card.

If you really want the best of both worlds you could have a display with dual dvi inputs and run an extra card down the road. This way you cna have the workstation gpu for when your doing work and a gaming gpu for when you want to test or game.

5. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

yep im doing this on a professional level.. although i dont work with too much polygons since i mostly just work with animation on maya.. i also do model in maya but it's just rough basic shapes, which i throw into zbrush, and zbrush doesn't really usually need that much power..

for digital painting, i'm not really sure what i need to make Corel painter run faster, it's just not an option to work on painter in my current laptop.. (although i can do the 3d stuff decently here) i dont really need Corel painter though, but i just want to learn it and right now i cant because my laptop cant handle it..

on video editing, my current laptop can handle video editing, im pretty sure either a gaming or workstation gpu would work.. btw, my current laptop is an HP Pavilion tx2000z, it has an AMD Turion CPU and uses GeForce Go 6150 gpu lol..

im still considering the workstation gpu since im not that big of a pc gamer.. i'd like to play more games on my pc but it's ok if i can't since i have my ps3 anyway..

oh and any help on the firewire? thanks! :D

6. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

7. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

thanks, but that's too many firewire ports, i think i'll need 2 at most.. so i'm trying to find something with usb ports.. feel free to recommend any.. thanks!

8. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

9. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

10. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

ya that looks fine.

11. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

alright thanks! :D

12. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

hi, the second PSU you suggested http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030 doesnt have a power cord, so my question is, are all power cords just the same? can i just buy any power cord and not have a problem with compatibility?

also since i'm already asking something about the PSU, is the 520w enough already? what if next time i decide to add another GPU or something.. would buying a 600w be too much already? and is too much watts bad for me? thanks!

13. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

It is a standard power cord, so you can use one from an old computer. 520w will be plenty. You won't have any problems running high edn graphics cards on it. The only time it wont be enough is if you want to run sli or crossfire.

14. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

ok thank you! i might ask again here if i decide to go sli or crossfire.. thanks!

15. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Hi again! I saw a very cheap rig here http://www.tiepc.co.nr/ that I'm thinking about buying. It's a seller from the Philippines (where i am right now) so the currencies are in pesos but everything's in english. The website always goes to their homepage so you have to click "Products" from the menu, and then click on "AMD PC System for i-Cafe, home and office (Athlon X2-Dualcore and Sempron)".

So there they show you the specs of their rig.

*AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: GE-Force Nvidia Series - Emaxx/Red Fox GF 6100
    Video: On Board Graphic Max. Memory Share Up to 512MB(Under OS By Turbo Cache) even if you share 128MB only from bios (w/ PCIe slot available)
    Memory: 1GB DDR2 800
    Hardisk: 160Gig Western Digital SATA 7200
    Monitor: NONE (see options below)
    Casing: ATX Casing 500W PSU w/ Transparent Side Panel & Fan
    Freebies:
    Keyboard:pS2
    Mouse: PS2
    Headset

All that for P11,450 ($247.62) (conversion as of writing is $1.00 = P46.24)

And then below there are upgrade options, here are the ones I plan to get:
    *Upgrade to Red Fox GF8200 http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=420 P3600 + P500 ($88.67)
    *16in Likom LCD Widescreen w/ built in speaker / glossy black P4500 ($97.32)
    *Pioneer 22x DVDRW SATA P1,350.00 ($29.20)

It totals to $462.81 right now. They also have an option to upgrade the GPU with one of the following:
    *INNO/PALIT/Redfox/Sparkle/HIS 512MB GE-Force 8400gs P1,500 ($32.44)
    *INNO/PALIT/Redfox/Sparkle/HIS 1GB GE-Force 9500gt P2,750 ($59.47)
    *HIS HD 4850 IceQ 4 Turbo (Full HD 1080p) HDMI 512MB (256bit) GDDR3 Dual DL-DVI & TV (HDCP) PCIe P5,350 ($115.70)

I'll most probably buy some upgrade to 4GB of RAM.

I'm really considering this because I don't have any experience with building PCs yet and I think this would be a good experience for me. And then when I leave the Philippines I can just give it to my nephew.

Ok so here come the questions:
    1. What can I expect out of this rig? I know it's not gonna be good but can you give me an idea of how bad it is? In terms of Photoshop, Maya, and gaming.

2. Not entirely related to the build, but let's say my mobo is DDR2 and DDR3 compatible, is it possible for me to use two DDR2s and another two DDR3s? Just a theoretical question.

3. Would upgrading to any of the GPU upgrade options be a good choice? I'm talking about best bang for buck here. If it's not that much of an upgrade then I'll probably stick with the 8200.

4. Any more advice you can give me about this? Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  16. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

With USB 3.0 a short year or 2 away I'd wait if you can.

17. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Hi ZippyDSM, yes I'm aware of that. This is just a PC that I'll be using for a couple of months and also something to let me experience a PC first before I get to building one, which I'll do some time this year with mostly what krj15489 recommended to me. But thanks for your input! :D

18. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

Well if you get the right power supply and go with DDR 3 ramm(which normally cannot be used with DDr 2 or 4) you could up it to a USB 3 mobo and new CPU without changing much else.

USB 3 is almost as fast if not faster than Esata plus it has power in it, but other than being the next big thing in plug contecy thingys nearly anythign will do to get you started as long as it has a video card....video chipsets tend to hog resources.

I know you can always get a USB 3 card but adding a new card is not always a option.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  19. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Thanks for answering my question number 2!

And can I ask what is a video chipset? Is that the video card integrated in the mobo?

20. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

yes, sound chipsets have come a long way and do not really hog resources but video chipsets tend to so having the video card as a card you can replace or upgrade is always a good thing.