1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some input and suggestions about building a pc

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ilovetoot, Dec 28, 2009.

1. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Ok thanks.. How about I buy a video card that's SLI ready? I saw some pretty cheap geforce 7900gs or 8400gs..

2. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Still need help on this...

Also, how would that compare to my current laptop?

My current laptop is a HP tx2000z Tablet PC with these specs:

CPU: 2.20GHz AMD Turion 62 x2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology Gold Edition TL-64
    CPU Cache: 512 KB + 512 KB L2 Cache
    Memory: 4096 MB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150M
    Video Memory: Up to 527 MB
    Hard Drive: 250 GB (5400 rpm)
    Disc Drive: Lighscribe Super Multi 8x DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
    Display: 12.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Integrated Touch-screen, Convertible Display (1280x800)
    Fax/Modem: High speed 56k modem
    Network Card: Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Wireless Connectivity: Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth
    Sound: Altec Lansing speakers
    Pointing Device: Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
    PC Card Slots: One ExpressCard/34 slot
    External Ports:
    * 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
    * 3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
    * 1 VGA (15-pin)
    * 1 RJ-11 (modem)
    * 1 TV-Out (S-video)
    * 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    * 1 headphone-out
    * 1 microphone-in
    * 1 notebook expansion port 3
    * 1 Consumer IR
    Dimensions: 8.82"(L) x 12.05"(W) x 1.23" (min H)/1.52" (max H)
    Weight: 4.53 lbs
    Power: 65 W AC Adapter, 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
    Others:
    * Built-in WebCam with stereo Integrated Microphone
    * HP Mobile Remote Control

Thanks!

3. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Stick with the i7 build. Buying a PC now and buying the custom build later would be a waste of money. The i7 860 should last you a few years, and combine that with a workstation gpu, you have a very good build. Considering your doing animations in Mya, I think your best bet, unless you have the budget, is sacrifice your gaming capabilities for now. In the future you could pick up a nice gaming gpu to up your gaming abilities. A lot of monitors have dual DVI inputs, so you could run a DVI cable from both cards to your monitor and switch out puts depending on your needs at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

Hey Xplorer4, yeah i will be sticking with the i7 build.. although i have a problem with the workstation gpu krj15489 recommended to me.. see i did some research and found this http://download.autodesk.com/us/qualcharts/2010/maya2010_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf and it says that the Quadro FX 580 "falls below minimum requirements to run the Autodesk product". Should I be concerned about this? Is is just because it's the latest version of Maya? The Maya I'm using is 2009 and I won't be upgrading soon.

About the other PC, I insist on buying another one lol. But it's just gonna be for the meantime and I'll give it to my nephew anyways, so it's not really wasted money. I do understand your concern though to just save the money now and maybe add it to the i7 build. It's also because of my laptop who's failing big time, so I do really need a temporary computer.

Thanks man! :D

EDIT: oh and the gaming part i'm not really concerned that much with.. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Well I would see if you cant find some spec sheets for mya 2009 because it might be a version issue. Also Id contact autodesk to double check. It could simply be out dated spec sheets.

I have to admit i am mostly ignorant on the workstation gpu front. I can atleast spot when a workstation gpu should be used over a gaming card, but I cant tell you much more about them honestly.

6. ilovetoot

ilovetoot Member

ok thanks maybe i should go try and check on their forums or something.. thank you again! :D